Roosts

novicepeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Roosts? What material did you use I'm in a northern climate so is any size best to prevent frostbite toes? Currently the coop has 4-1x1 collar ties which could be used by them. Im
Going to build a roosting ladder I have a 1x1 hex I can use or some 2x4s too. Which will they like best?

I prefer the wide side of a 2x4. Their toes don't curl around a narrow pole as many birds' so, and this gives pretty good surface for covering their toes for warmth. I know of one rather heavy Orp hen who preferred a shelf. A lot of people use a wide branch. Things like PVC pipe are too slippery.

thanks I was thinking the 2x4's would be better for the chicken bleachers I'm creating.
thumbsup.gif

yep, you need a 4 inch wide perch for them to sit on, so that every bit of their toes cane be easily covered in belly fluff.

I have actually used 4x4s for super wide spans, since then they need no central support and never sag.

My coop came with a 2x3" thin side up roost, which I didn't like at all. So, I went to the lumber store, and found a marvelous idea - bought a 2x4" hand railing with the 4" sides gently rounded for hands, and a 2" indentation to put on a railing. So, I screwed it into the existing roost, and now the girls have a 4" rounded roost which they absolutely LOVE.

I use saplings with the bark on, about 3" diameter, which varies a bit. My birds also roost in the rafters of their coop, made of 4" fence posts. Too smooth or slippery isn't good. mary

I use saplings with the bark on, about 3" diameter, which varies a bit. My birds also roost in the rafters of their coop, made of 4" fence posts. Too smooth or slippery isn't good. mary

Back
Top Bottom