1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.
  1. novicepeeps

novicepeeps In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Roosts? What material did you use I'm in a northern climate so is any size best to prevent frostbite toes? Currently the coop has 4-1x1 collar ties which could be used by them. Im
    Going to build a roosting ladder I have a 1x1 hex I can use or some 2x4s too. Which will they like best?

2. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I prefer the wide side of a 2x4. Their toes don't curl around a narrow pole as many birds' so, and this gives pretty good surface for covering their toes for warmth. I know of one rather heavy Orp hen who preferred a shelf. A lot of people use a wide branch. Things like PVC pipe are too slippery.

3. novicepeeps

Aug 9, 2013
    thanks I was thinking the 2x4's would be better for the chicken bleachers I'm creating. [​IMG]

4. scooter147

scooter147 Songster

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I definitely prefer the 2x4 wide side up. I think it's easier on the birds.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake 10 Years

yep, you need a 4 inch wide perch for them to sit on, so that every bit of their toes cane be easily covered in belly fluff.

I have actually used 4x4s for super wide spans, since then they need no central support and never sag.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake 10 Years

oh! I have also used two 1 by 4s put together like a 'T', that way they never sag either, and can still be 8 feet long.

7. novicepeeps

Aug 9, 2013
    I like the t idea... I'll have to see how it fits.

8. harmonyp

harmonyp In the Brooder

May 25, 2013
    N. California
    My coop came with a 2x3" thin side up roost, which I didn't like at all. So, I went to the lumber store, and found a marvelous idea - bought a 2x4" hand railing with the 4" sides gently rounded for hands, and a 2" indentation to put on a railing. So, I screwed it into the existing roost, and now the girls have a 4" rounded roost which they absolutely LOVE.

1 person likes this.
  9. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 6 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I use saplings with the bark on, about 3" diameter, which varies a bit. My birds also roost in the rafters of their coop, made of 4" fence posts. Too smooth or slippery isn't good. mary

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 6 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I use saplings with the bark on, about 3" diameter, which varies a bit. My birds also roost in the rafters of their coop, made of 4" fence posts. Too smooth or slippery isn't good. mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: