1. novicepeeps

novicepeeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Roosts? What material did you use I'm in a northern climate so is any size best to prevent frostbite toes? Currently the coop has 4-1x1 collar ties which could be used by them. Im
    Going to build a roosting ladder I have a 1x1 hex I can use or some 2x4s too. Which will they like best?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I prefer the wide side of a 2x4. Their toes don't curl around a narrow pole as many birds' so, and this gives pretty good surface for covering their toes for warmth. I know of one rather heavy Orp hen who preferred a shelf. A lot of people use a wide branch. Things like PVC pipe are too slippery.

3. novicepeeps

Aug 9, 2013
    thanks I was thinking the 2x4's would be better for the chicken bleachers I'm creating. [​IMG]

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I definitely prefer the 2x4 wide side up. I think it's easier on the birds.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

yep, you need a 4 inch wide perch for them to sit on, so that every bit of their toes cane be easily covered in belly fluff.

I have actually used 4x4s for super wide spans, since then they need no central support and never sag.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

oh! I have also used two 1 by 4s put together like a 'T', that way they never sag either, and can still be 8 feet long.

7. novicepeeps

Aug 9, 2013
    I like the t idea... I'll have to see how it fits.

8. harmonyp

harmonyp Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    N. California
    My coop came with a 2x3" thin side up roost, which I didn't like at all. So, I went to the lumber store, and found a marvelous idea - bought a 2x4" hand railing with the 4" sides gently rounded for hands, and a 2" indentation to put on a railing. So, I screwed it into the existing roost, and now the girls have a 4" rounded roost which they absolutely LOVE.

1 person likes this.
  9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I use saplings with the bark on, about 3" diameter, which varies a bit. My birds also roost in the rafters of their coop, made of 4" fence posts. Too smooth or slippery isn't good. mary

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I use saplings with the bark on, about 3" diameter, which varies a bit. My birds also roost in the rafters of their coop, made of 4" fence posts. Too smooth or slippery isn't good. mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by