Roosts

Tracecom, I'll have to run back out in the 3 feet of snow with my camera and get back to your question. In the meantime, here are some pics of the setup. I find that half of them roost on the 1" outer rim of the poop board, facing either direction. Obviously if they face the wall, they wind up pooping on the floor pineshavings. But typically 95% of the poop winds up on the PDZ. My poopboard is 24" deep, ~40" high with a 2x4 roost centered 8-10" above the board. The poopboard is secured to the wall by a strip of wood screwed to the wall and the legs around the nesting boxes. The board itself is in 2 pieces and can be removed if nec. Most of them can fly or jump up. For the buff orps I provide an 18" high stool and deep fluffed up shavings to buffer their landing back down.
What I might have done differently is to provide a bit more space between the 2x4 roost and the poopboard lip. Those on the roosts are constantly pecking at those on the outer edges and it takes forever for them to settle down. The roost could be placed closer to the wall. The 10" that I have provided is more than enough. (24" minus the 2x4, divided in half = 10" from the wall and board lip.) They have plenty of room and never poop on the wall. Some of them sleep in the PDZ against the wall. The longer roost is ~9.5' and shorter one is ~5.5' in length. More than enough for the 8 bantams and 8 reg sized hens. I extended the wall supports for the roosts towards the wall so I can move the roost back for easier cleaning. (I'll take a pic of that also. I showed my carpenter exactly what I wanted and he didn't do it, so I had to add it later.) This set up is in a 6x10 coop. I'll get back to you.

Tracecom, I'll have to run back out in the 3 feet of snow with my camera and get back to your question. In the meantime, here are some pics of the setup. I find that half of them roost on the 1" outer rim of the poop board, facing either direction. Obviously if they face the wall, they wind up pooping on the floor pineshavings. But typically 95% of the poop winds up on the PDZ. My poopboard is 24" deep, ~40" high with a 2x4 roost centered 8-10" above the board. The poopboard is secured to the wall by a strip of wood screwed to the wall and the legs around the nesting boxes. The board itself is in 2 pieces and can be removed if nec. Most of them can fly or jump up. For the buff orps I provide an 18" high stool and deep fluffed up shavings to buffer their landing back down.
What I might have done differently is to provide a bit more space between the 2x4 roost and the poopboard lip. Those on the roosts are constantly pecking at those on the outer edges and it takes forever for them to settle down. The roost could be placed closer to the wall. The 10" that I have provided is more than enough. (24" minus the 2x4, divided in half = 10" from the wall and board lip.) They have plenty of room and never poop on the wall. Some of them sleep in the PDZ against the wall. The longer roost is ~9.5' and shorter one is ~5.5' in length. More than enough for the 8 bantams and 8 reg sized hens. I extended the wall supports for the roosts towards the wall so I can move the roost back for easier cleaning. (I'll take a pic of that also. I showed my carpenter exactly what I wanted and he didn't do it, so I had to add it later.) This set up is in a 6x10 coop. I'll get back to you.
What a great setup, and in a beautiful setting. I have never been to Maine, but my wife and I talk about it a lot.

The poop board in your coop is very much like mine in terms of size, shape, and distance from the roost pole.

Actually, I don't think I posted a question for you, but rather, I posted my coop pic in response to a question from Honey Maid that was addressed to you. Your pictures and description are much more helpful than mine, and I was glad to see them. Thanks.

@mainechicklet

most beautiful coops ever!!!!
love.gif

@mainechicklet

most beautiful coops ever!!!!
love.gif
Thank you! I so wish I could totally "free-range" them, but I have way too many aerial and land predators. I lost one of my first 4 hens to a 3pm fox at my front door. (very traumatic for me.) And 20 of my hens were from a hoarder, living in the woods and trees. I know they would not all return to their coop at dusk. Hence, the hardware clothed runs. At night I still have to carry 4 of them from the collar ties, into the coop. When I went out to check on them ~10pm a couple nights ago, there were fox tracks right up to their windows.
I LOVE them!

Alaskan, bet you have more than your fair share of predators! I have predators too, but also have dogs running around, so the dogs keep the ground predators at bay. I've plenty of trees, so predators from the sky have not been a problem. I let my chickens out of their yard, later in the afternoon, so they stay pretty close, they usually end up really close to our house. They don't wander too far because it is later in the day. I learned this the hard way, years ago I let them free range all day, but they ended up wandering off too far, and a fox got a,couple, so now I limit them to being out of their yard, which is pretty big anyway, to late afternoons.

Back
Top Bottom