1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    See my edited post.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yep - we currently have way more roosting space in the coop than the birds want/use - as evidenced by the poo that accumulates under one section compared to practically none under the other. We have "squishers" at the moment -- I have toyed with the idea of taking out one section, but have talked myself out of it due to the fact that flock dynamics can change.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    That was the surprising thing about this flock - even through the heat of last summer/fall they were all very faithful to their preferred spots. I'm working through my planned additions now and am really curious to see how things shift once the new birds are actually ready to be integrated.

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Aint that the truth! It's very helpful when people say what they like or don't like then explain WHY they like or don't like it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. Steve P

Steve P Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Breckenridge MI

No 12 chickens will be the max. My coop is going to be 8x8 and 7 foot tall in the center. They will all be the same age. Flock will consist of Isa Brown's Black Sex Link Ameraucana Silver Laced and Golden Laced Wyandotte and Welsummer.

7. Steve P

Steve P Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Breckenridge MI

Thanks for the pic. That was kinda what I was thinking of doing. Do they roost in front of the nest boxes?

8. TheChickGirl01

TheChickGirl01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    I have six chickens, 1 heavy, 3 standard, and 2 bantams. I have a roosting bar along my nesting box. It has 4 compartments on the bottom and the top. this seems like plenty of space for my birds. they also love to be on the top of the nesting box, it's at an angle and they love it.

9. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    thanks again!
    I read that originally as if they were 18" off the floor, mine will be a bit higher than that since I put my nest boxes at that height ( I think, it's been a while since I did those, LOL)

I'll most likely get the framework done and add the poo boards later. My 6 oldest are going on 6 weeks old and if all goes as planned, they may get to spend the night out there tonight. Don't know that they'd use roosts yet, but we'll see!

in the meantime, the poo boards will be made from the brooder box once I move all the chicks out, probably be a couple more weeks. My next brooder will be incorporated into the coop for the next chicks.......

not trying to hijack the thread, OP if I do my roosts like aarts, I'll have 14' of roost for 14 birds.....and I already know they'll use about half that, LOL

10. sumterflfreed

sumterflfreed Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2015
    Sumterville, FL
    So I read in here somewhere silkies may not roost? So what do I do for silkies as I have 8 silkies around 4 weeks old and a dark brahma who is much bigger than the silkies but still around 4 weeks old and tried to roost today when I put a "ladder" in but I couldn't get the silkies to go on it or up the ramp almost like they are afraid of heights. I didn't know silkies didn't fly. Any advice would be helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by