Rope light installed - how quick should I expect results?

mahchicks

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
I am the new owner of 9 month old hens (buff orpington, black orpington, 2 NH Reds). We just finished building an enclosed run and now I want to see some eggs! Based on some things I saw here, I installed a 6-foot rope light inside the coop and have it set to go on pre-dawn to add about 4 hours of light to the day. How long before I should expect to see some results? The coop doesn't have any good nesting spots installed, so my job for tomorrow is to figure out a place I can install one. The previous owner did say they were laying eggs through the summer. Thanks for your help!

I think you are on the right track. THey need a number days or weeks on the new light schedule to rev up the reproduction system as it is hormonally run and the light simulates the initial hormone release. And that's about all I remember from a college poultry class! Dr Paul would be disappointed that I can' remember the time frame more specifically.

Maybe someone else knows.

welcome-byc.gif

If you just got them, that means that they have had a recent traumatic event. moving is a big deal for them. I mean little things like going without food for a few hours can stress out a bird enough to where she won't lay.
Don't rush them, they will lay when they get settled in and know that they are safe.. and again, I don't think that lighting will help or hurt them laying after such an event. Lighting during the winter does help some seasonal breeds to lay into the winter months a bit better, but adding light does not reduce stress, and that is the issue that you are having.

Agreeing with CoffeeCow. I built a new large coop right next to the tractor I had 6 pullets in. then moved them 6 ft away into the new coop which opened into the same run they have been using. Just that change stopped them from laying for about 3 wks. When I added light to my other coop it was about 2 to 3 wks before I saw a change in egg laying. They won't be rushed, ready when they are ready.

When I added lights to my stressfree hens it took 2 days. However it doesn't take much stress to stop. New year's fireworks? one day. Snow?weeks. a high humidity will also slow production.

thanks for the comments. I didn't realize they were such easily "stressed" animals. Guess I'll sit back and relax. My 3-yr old daughter asks about 6 times a day if we have any eggs though, so I guess it's hard for all of us to be patient!

just send that little girl out to check every day!...it will give her something to do!...and when that first eggs comes...she will be soooooo excited!!!!

Back
Top Bottom