Rory's Story

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LeBlackbird, Jan 24, 2013.

1. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Late last summer, Blackbird was kickin' back, enjoying the last day of one of her ever so enjoyable Fairs. Being that it was last day, a few competitors had brought in birds to sell off to whoever wanted them. A friend's family had brought many small, various colored silkie chicks to sell. Blackbird, knowing that she absolutely did not need any more silkies resisted the urge to purchase one. Well, as the day started to wrap up and all the birds had been sold, Someone carried a small cardboard box back from the front of our tent. Me, being the curious being that I am, strode forth and inquired on the contents of the box. Some lunatic had tried to RETURN one of the silkies they had purchase and also demanded a refund. Upon discovering that a refund would not be made available, the angry customer left the poor baby bird in front of our tent.
    Well, I asked the previous owner if he had any intention of taking single bird back home with him and he gave me a very sturdy no. So, seeing my opportunity, I offered to take the bird home with me and eventually raise it to adulthood. Relieved, the man handed over the bird like he was handing over some small, irritating kid he couldn't wait to get his hands off of.
    So I took the baby strait home
    [​IMG]
    So this is Rory [​IMG] In this pic she's 4 weeks old! She's currently 6 months old! She turned into a gigantic house chicken now, so she lives and hangs out in my room! my spoiled sweetheart <3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    good story, happy ending for Rory.

3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Aw! I love the pic of her looking out the window! Bless you for taking her in!

4. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    why thank you, I love her to pieces [​IMG] I can't imagine waking up in the morning without hearing her vocalize her good mornings

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I thought my hens were spoiled but that's one spoiled chicken. Love her!

6. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    She is beautiful! What a happy ending to the story! She deserves to be spoiled and I can tell she is loved!!!

7. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    aw thanks guys [​IMG]

8. Cute! I miss my silkie hen : (
    Someone stole her :/
    That's one cute girl ya got there!

9. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    She is such a cute and spoiled little puff! I want a house-Silkie too!

I too know how you feel about adopting fair-birds... a similar story happened to me when I got my Sultan- someone tried to buy her from a 4-H friend, but they said no because the almost-buyer knew nothing about chickens- instead, they gave her to me, and she is now a part of my mini Polish flock...

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a lovely gal! She's deserves a chair of her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by