Rosecomb or Single comb dominant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buns, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    When crossing a rosecombed bird with a regular five point single combed bird, which comb type is dominant? Or will there be some of each? This is assuming that the rosecomb comes from a long line of rosecombs and the single combed bird comes from a long line of single combed birds. [​IMG]

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Rosecomb (R) is dominant over non-rosecomb (r). There are other comb genes that play a role, but basically, if your rosecomb bird is RR, your chicks will be Rr and rosecombed. If he's Rr, you will get some of each.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If your birds are pure for there comb then you should get all Rose Comb with a chance that a Single Comb will come out..

I will let you know that the Rose Combs that come out of this cross will suffer greatly. They will have hollow centers, mutable spikes and over sized combs.

Chris

4. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, here's another comb genetics question. (Hope you don't mind if I hijack, it's related!)

Cushion comb cock over walnut and pea comb hens. What should I expect?

5. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Oh, I have no intentions of deliberately doing such a cross ever again. I just noticed that before I sold her that a bantam wyandotte hen and our black bantam cochin roo's offspring seemed to all have rose combs. And totally dreadful temperaments. Such tempers! Nothing like my pure cochins, that is for sure. Little suckers were fast and feisty, not unlike the black rosecomb birds we have had! Here's me trying to catch rosecombs! [​IMG]

6. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Hijack away... wish I could be of assistance, but I do not know the answer.

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:You mean: no chance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by