rosecomb

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Huskeriowa, May 11, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

I displayed my questionable free chick a couple of weeks ago. At that time I was told it is a rosecomb and most of the guesses said boy because it had a comb at six weeks. Now it is over two months old and to me at least the comb hasn't grown and looks like a female. I am trying to figure out if I do have to get rid of it or if I am hopefully going to get lucky and it is a hen. It is the most personable of the group so I would like to keep it if possible.

I have searched this venue and also googled all over to try to find pictures of rosecombs that are about two months old and all I find are very small chick pictures or adults. I notice that the roosters have a fancy tail. At what age does that start? I ask because at two months there is none of the male tail on him or her.

Also I know that roosters can crow at different ages and what I found at this site is that most seem to start between five and eight weeks. It has not crowed as of yet at two months. Is the time that they crow a breed thing or does it vary from rooster to rooster of any given breed?

Also the bantam appears to be at the bottom of the pecking order. It is submissive to all the hens. Is that normal for a rooster at two months or is that a hen trait?

Thanks much for any feedback.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. I don't know about rose combs... But maybe someone else will. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I am hoping someone will. Not trying to be rude but I am bumping this one time in hopes that someone that raises rosecombs sees this. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by