1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rosemary's Necropsy Photos....WARNING! GRAPHIC!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckledhen, Nov 18, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Cyn, again, I'm truly sorry for your loss. I do appreciate you posting this information for the rest of us. I've only had chickens since April, so I have much to learn. And, this really concerns me since most of my girls right now are black sex-links, hatchery stock.

Have you, or will you, contact the hatchery to see if they can be of any help? I know it's probably a long shot, but...

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Cyn the pictures are very educational. What I'm wondering is why the yolk material doesn't pass on through the oviduct and out of the body? What makes it start stopping up in the first place and then building up - if that question makes sense? Meaning if the body is still producing the egg but somehow not forming the shell why isn't the shell-less egg continued out of the body? For me the $60,000 dollar question is why the shell stops forming in the first place - what is causing this "malfunction"? It seems there must be an answer somewhere to this mystery. I'm sure you would like to know more than anyone.

So sorry for all of your losses. Thank you for sharing.

Monique

3. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for posting this information (sad as it is [​IMG]). I am grateful as it only makes me more knowledgeable with my birds. I am very saddened to hear that you have multiple hens possibly affected with this.......a heartbreaking situation.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh my word Cyn! [​IMG] I'm absolutely amazed that she hung on as long as she did. That poor girl. From just looking at those pics, you know she was absolutely miserable. I'm just so sorry. [​IMG]

RIP Rosemary.

5. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

But thank you for the pictures please post again if you find the reason that this is happening to help educate the rest of us BYCers.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I cannot believe how large that is! That is over half her internal cavity!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I know! Those are my exact thoughts. Can you just imagine how miserable that poor girl was?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is a wonder they even managed to walk with the added weight they were carrying.

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Poor hen. [​IMG] I hope that was the end of it for your girls. But I would wonder too, how this is happening?

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Cyn, continuing to commiserate with you and yours from afar. Poor girls!

I recall a thread from the other board, some time back, about the odd shell deformations you observed from some of your layers. Were these the same girls? From the same hatchery? Early IB infection might be a possibility (if the answers to previous questions are yes). Just an idea.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM014

Here's to hoping for better days on lighter wings!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by