Roster with no legs, prosthetics? Cull?

I think, as long as he is getting around well, and isn't in any pain, let him live. He'll need extra care, but if you're willing to do that for him, he'll live a good and happy life.
There is another member here that has a legless rooster. Let me see if I can find who that is.

As long as he is taken great care of as in you're in it for him and not for Facebook likes
May want to revisit your husbandry skills with him losing both legs to frostbite

Last edited:
I live in northern Minnesota, and we also know cold weather.

Let me ask, what are you using as your roosting bars? If you have had 2 chickens lose their feet to frostbite, then I think you have a larger problem than just caring for this one rooster.

FWIW, my roost bars are 2X4s laid flat. That allows the chickens to tuck their feet into their body and keep them warm in the winter. I have seen nighttime temps drop down to as low as -45F, and the chickens will puff themselves up to almost twice their size and trap all that warm body air in for the night. For 2 winters now, I have not seen any frostbite on their legs or toes.

Frostbite is not only due to low temps, but a combination of low temps and humidity. Do you have adequate ventilation in your coop? And by adequate, I mean is the humidity in your coop more or less equal to the humidity outside? If your coop is really humid compared to the outside, then it takes less cold to get frostbite.

I would also check for drafts in the coop. Ventilation is good, drafts are bad. You don't want cold air drafting under the chickens sleeping on the roosting bar at night.

Nebraska lol all 4 seasons in a week šŸ˜†

Where I live in northern Minnesota, we have all 4 seasons - Winter, June, July, and August. Or, for those into into sports, we have hockey season followed by 3 months of bad ice!

At least I have never worried about my chickens getting heat stroke and dying on me. So that is a plus.

Where I live in northern Minnesota, we have all 4 seasons - Winter, June, July, and August. Or, for those into into sports, we have hockey season followed by 3 months of bad ice!

At least I have never worried about my chickens getting heat stroke and dying on me. So that is a plus.
I guess lol

Back
Top Bottom