Roster with no legs, prosthetics? Cull?

What a beautiful animal, it'd be a shame to have to put him down.
Well I found an article on a person that made a whole prosthetic leg for their chicken. Maybe you could contact them and see if the same can be done for your rooster..?
https://www.communitychickens.com/cicely-the-leghorn-gets-a-new-prosthetic-leg/
They have the Doctors page and it seems that through the page you can contact them.

He is a beautiful roo! Itā€™s a shame it happened. He will have special needs for the rest of his life. I was in my FB page checking birds pages and I saw what it looked like a type of wheelchair for a one leg hen. Maybe you can invent something for him? That he can scoot around without hurting himself? That can take his weight a bit off his nubs so they donā€™t rub the ground so much. Itā€™s a good idea to keep him in a cage at night. He probably can not perch.
I have a special needs hen. She is partially blind since 4 months. She has learned to fend for herself, follows my voice and has managed to enhance her other senses to make up for the impaired one. Nature is incredible. She seems happy and free range every day and lays me a beauty of an egg several times a week. She is a RIR.
I mention this to show if you love your roo, he can still have some quality of life. And although now you might need to give him more attention eventually he will learn to fend better on his own. Talk to your vet or check the internet for some ideas to provide him with own mobility. Ask your vet. Good luck with him. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom