Rosters to hens

Jun 11, 2020
I’m wondering if I should add a rooster to my flock? Here’s my situation:

We have 2 mature, laying, medium-sized hens and 16 12-week old mixed type chicks. One of the youngsters is a rooster. So 18 chickens at a 17:1 ratio. They are in a large, secure 8x10 house at night and free range on the property during the day.

We have the chickens primarily for eggs to eat and share; but we also enjoy having them in our environment and love the excellent pest control. Also, I’ve thoroughly and unexpectedly enjoyed my first batch of chicks, and I would like to have some fertile eggs to leave with the hens to hatch next spring.

The rooster we have is our first rooster, so I don’t have experience on my side. But from what I’ve read, I believe we will enjoy him and the flock will benefit from his presence. We are in the country with plenty of predators, both land and air. However, we also have heavy tree cover, lots of hiding spots and two dogs that half heartedly watch the flock. We’ve lost 4 chickens to predation over the last 3 years, but only started with 6. Now with 18, I’m sure there will be losses, despite our best efforts.

So...do I need/can my flock handle another rooster for protection and egg fertilization? Or is one enough? Thanks so much for the input!

I've had 1 cock with up to 20 hens/pullets.
He got the job done well enough to hatch replacement layers.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

I don't free range, but wouldn't count on a cock protecting the flock.
Multiple males can work great or be a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom