1. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I found a Roto-Egg machine in my Dad's barn today. I plugged it in and it has a turntable top that simply agitates back and forth. I looked it up on line and all I have learned is that it is supposed to clean eggs. Does anyone know how to use it?

2. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    PhilErvin,
    I don't have any knowledge of the Roto Egg but I viewed your BYC page and checked out your coop. What a great coop and run. You did an excellent job, and what a great tribute to your father. My father was a carpenter/farmer and was a great builder. He has passed away as well but I know that he would be proud of me and the building I have been able to do. I try to recycle lumber just as he would. I wish he was here to enjoy my chickens with me. Anyway, great job on your coop!

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I don't know about the roto-egg. Looked at your coop and run. Both exhibit really fine workmanship. I set my 2x4x72" welded wire fence in cement to discourage digging. I also installed a 5-mile fence charger, 4 KV and put up 4 courses of hotwire from 8" ht to 42" ht.

I would consider adding 24" ht hardware cloth to bottom of entire run and under henhouse too. Chicken wire can be easily torn open by coyotes, dogs, coons, bobcats, bears, badgers, etc. You are likely to have at least two of those listed out there. Again, fine job. Do you wish now that you had done a taller entrance door for yourself? (I am 67 so naturally, I would not want to be stooping every time I go in to my henhouse.)

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Thank you guys for the kind words regarding my coop and run. My Dad was always building things like this around our place when we were growing up. So when I decided to raise some chickens I looked over my Dad's chicken coops and was inspired to "out do" him.
    Two weeks before he died I showed him pictures of my finished coop. He said "that's the best looking chicken coop I have ever seen". That's all I needed to hear. I sure do miss my Dad.
    I do bump my head :(every time I walk in the run but I don't really need to go in too often.
    Thanx for the tip regarding heavier wire to keep the predators at bay. We do have predators that may try to get in with the girls so I will certainly consider beefing that up.

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    your coop and run are great.. my cousins live in yucaipa. haven't been there in years..it does get hot but it is beautiful there..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by