Rotten egg broken under broody hen

JoF

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
Broody Hen sitting on 9 eggs

I check periodically. She is due to hatch any day now.

now there were only 5 eggs, that are all covered in gunk and it smells totally rotten under there. Poor thing, it really stinks.

this could have been like this for a few days already. Should I remove the eggs? wipe them? They are REALLY covered in stinky gunk, straw etc.

Or should I clean it all out and let her start again?

Welcome To BYC

I'd try gently moving them from the nest, clean the nest up, wipe away the gunk.
See if she needs a good wiping/cleaning as well.

Candle the "good" egg and remove any that are no good.
Hopefully she'll not break broodiness while you give her a cleanup.

Welcome To BYC

I'd try gently moving them from the nest, clean the nest up, wipe away the gunk.
See if she needs a good wiping/cleaning as well.

Candle the "good" egg and remove any that are no good.
Hopefully she'll not break broodiness while you give her a cleanup.
I will try this. she's "due" any day now so I guess if we don't get chicks in a few days after trying this I will start her with fresh eggs.

Give it a try and see.

Do check her over really well for lice/mites and her body condition as well.

Some hens can keep up with being broody for a long period of time, but often they can waste away or be prone to getting parasites.

See that she's eating well and drinking, dust bathing, leaving the nest, etc.

Give it a try and see.

Do check her over really well for lice/mites and her body condition as well.

Some hens can keep up with being broody for a long period of time, but often they can waste away or be prone to getting parasites.

See that she's eating well and drinking, dust bathing, leaving the nest, etc.
when a hen goes broody I give them a anti-mite anti parasite treatment right away so she should be good for parasites. she felt in good condition when I washed her belly, hasn't lost much weight... If I do give her fresh eggs to keep sitting I will give her a "treat" every day of yogurt and mash just to make sure she can get through.

Back
Top Bottom