ROTTER EXPLODED UNDER BROODY!!

crazychickenchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Australia
I have a broody and her eggs are due to hatch today. Two days ago I checked the eggs under her and noticed they really stunk. Came to the conclution that one had rotted and exploded under her. I candled the remaining eggs and could see air cell and mass of chick in all. As they are due to hatch today I have checked the eggs twice and cannot hear any pipping or anything else. Can the rotten egg seep through pores of other eggs and kill the pips inside?

Yea I think the bacteria from it can. Gosh I'm so sorry. That's awful.
(Btw...I 1st read "rottweiler expolded under broody"
lol.png
)

I would clean them off best you can and see if they will go ahead and hatch.
Sometimes there is a delay in hatching and they may not be quite ready.. good luck...

LOL!!! I don't think a dog of that size would fit under my little bantam girl! And if for some reason it did there would not be much left of the poor dear after detonation. Nearly wet myself when I read that! Hilarious Dane_mom!

Yes it is horrid. I have been so excited about them hatching! I might check them again tomorrow afternoon and give up if i hear nothing. Thanks

Quote:
Didn't think about the bloom....I was thinking about a previous reference to eggs in a bator when the eggs had been washed and *washed* is the key word that's why the bacteria was a threat.

Oh, ok. What exactly is the bloom and how does it protect from bacteria? I definitly havn't washed them so I hope they are just a day late.

Thank you all. x

Quote:
The bloom is a protective coating on an egg that prevents bacteria from getting
in. This is why eggs take so long to go bad and why you shouldn't wash eggs
until you are ready to eat them.

The biological function is to protect the embryo.

Well it is now 1pm on day 22 and still no chirping or pipping going on. I will check them once more this afternoon then again tommorrow. If there is no sign of pipping I might have to crack one open and have a gander! (Hopefully they will pip overnight)

Back
Top Bottom