Rotting feet? Feet were frozen☹️Please Help!

I have no experience with such a case of frostbite and it might be worth saving him but without a vet in the state he is in I'm not sure he has good odds.

Smelly feet means the flesh is rotting and that usually leads to an infection which is not survivable without serious medical help.

Not sure my post helps as I am not experienced enough but I know what I would have to do. I wouldn't let mine suffer if it got to this.

I have no experience with such a case of frostbite and it might be worth saving him but without a vet in the state he is in I'm not sure he has good odds.

Smelly feet means the flesh is rotting and that usually leads to an infection which is not survivable without serious medical help.

Not sure my post helps as I am not experienced enough but I know what I would have to do. I wouldn't let mine suffer if it got to this.
I agree. I just didn't know if I could save him. If he dies he dies., but I don't want him to suffer. I had frostbite before in a chicken. All his toes fell off.

It does look like he is going to lose toes and possibly most of one or both feet, but it takes time (weeks) to see how much damage there will be. The skin if dead will turn black and shrivel up. You can keep him inside in a dog crate on clean towels. If you do, I would soak his feet in warm water with some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine in the water for disinfecting. Do not massage or rub anything onto his feet since they will be damaged more, and they are painful. But I also would consider putting him down, so that he doesn’t suffer. You may end up doing that down the road anyway if he loses the feet.

What @Eggcessive posted was exactly what I was going to say, so I won't make you read it twice. I will say I've seen cases that bad where the chicken has lived, but a lot rode on whether of not the infection was going to spread and weaken it to the point it couldn't recover. It does look like he's absolutely going to lose some toes, but your care will be a big part of the odds of his outcome.

When you said he's skinny... is he not eating well in general or just lately? And if he's well fed, when's the last time you wormed? (I'm not sure if worming is a good idea right now, that's something I'd definitely ask the vet or a more experienced member)

What @Eggcessive posted was exactly what I was going to say, so I won't make you read it twice. I will say I've seen cases that bad where the chicken has lived, but a lot rode on whether of not the infection was going to spread and weaken it to the point it couldn't recover. It does look like he's absolutely going to lose some toes, but your care will be a big part of the odds of his outcome.

When you said he's skinny... is he not eating well in general or just lately? And if he's well fed, when's the last time you wormed? (I'm not sure if worming is a good idea right now, that's something I'd definitely ask the vet or a more experienced member)
I don't worm my bantams. I'd like to keep them organic. Skinny like his brest bone is very noticeable. He's very under weight. When he was out with the flock he pushed through to get food. He is eating and drinking good still. He's always been very skinny but not as skinny as he is now.

Back
Top Bottom