Rotting feet? Feet were frozen☹️Please Help!

Egg Snatcher

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 11, 2020
SW Missouri
Ok so one week ago my sultan roo was standing in the snow. I noticed he has walking stiffly. I picked him up and his feet were froze. I have gotten them warmed up and his toes still move. He can also stand and walk. I have been soaking his feet in epsilon salt water. One the 2end and 3rd day he had blisters on his legs. Now his feet are purple and blue, they're also starting to stink.😞 I found some healing spray, and sprayed it on his feet. Will he keep his feet? I don't want him to die.

Here's another question. Are sultans very rare? Just wondering.

It does look like he is going to lose toes and possibly most of one or both feet, but it takes time (weeks) to see how much damage there will be. The skin if dead will turn black and shrivel up. You can keep him inside in a dog crate on clean towels. If you do, I would soak his feet in warm water with some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine in the water for disinfecting. Do not massage or rub anything onto his feet since they will be damaged more, and they are painful. But I also would consider putting him down, so that he doesn’t suffer. You may end up doing that down the road anyway if he loses the feet.

I have no experience with such a case of frostbite and it might be worth saving him but without a vet in the state he is in I'm not sure he has good odds.

Smelly feet means the flesh is rotting and that usually leads to an infection which is not survivable without serious medical help.

Not sure my post helps as I am not experienced enough but I know what I would have to do. I wouldn't let mine suffer if it got to this.

I would consider worming, since worms can damage the intestinal wall and food absorption could be affected. Or take some fresh droppings in to a vet for a fecal float test to see what worms might be present. Valbazen and SafeGuard are effective wormers, and both require a 2 week egg withdrawal after treatment.

Sorry that it seems he may lose both feet. Please post udated pictures as the feet change. Since the tissue is dead, he may not feel much pain, but I would consider his future ability to get around and live normally. There are a few threads about chickens who have lost feet, and who were favorite family pets who lived with considerable assistance. Some people just let them live or not without special consideration. He may not be able to roost or normally mate, and sometimes others will pick on a disabled chicken. But I hope he has a good outcome.

I am not sure if you have mentioned your location, but I would try to prevent this from happening again to another chicken. I have to be careful not to spill water when I am filling bowls in freezing weather inside the coop. I have electric water bowls, and if a chicken steps into one, that can be dangerous.

I've seen some pretty severe cases of frostbite on feet, and it shocks me how well some recover, but hopefully your boy isn't past the tipping point yet.

Is he still out in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom