Rottweiler & Chickens

Rotties were used for guarding land, stock and people. They also herded. They are a very versatile breed. if any general purpose breed would love and protect your chicks it's a rotty. We have Pyrenees and couldn't be happier with them but if I were to get a powerful breed as a pet I'd seriously consider Rottys.

Rotties were developed to drive cattle to market - they weren't really guardian dogs. The original name was Metzgerhund which means "butcher dog". Good working stock rotties are like any other herding dog - they're nippy. That being said, finding working stock rotties is almost impossible at this point, and most are pet/fighting stock, and are going to be a mixed bag.

Herding dogs are much harder to use as guardians than guardian breeds are - they like to use their mouths - watch a border collie work sheep - if the sheep don't get it - they get bit. Rotties are a lot calmer than border collies, but there's still that controlling nature in there.

Anyways, I'm sure you could make a good guardian dog out of one (and if you have one, it's a better place to start than many others) - but if someone is going out to buy a dog with the aim of turning it into a LGD - they're better off getting one of the traditional breeds.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. There are breeders that breed for the working lines and the instincts are still in the breed. It's a fine line between protecting and herding. The prey drive is re-directed and controlled for both. Could you also clarify what you mean by fighting stock?

Good to see!!! You can see my one Rottie with a chick in my avatar. They are best friends.

I have worked with Rotts for 25 years. Good working lines are not something just sold at the local breeder. Working lines aren't given or sold to novices. Working Rotts are something that are earned, not simply bought.

Here is one of my current working dogs......

Last edited:
No Rott here, but we did, 2 mths ago(he's now 4mths), get ourselves a Great Pyranees! We got tired of losing ducks at night to possums and racoons that can eat thru 3/4 plywood...

With dog, so far, so good...If he didn't chase and scare ducks(he's just playin' like a puppy!!), he'd run all day, as of now, until he chills some, he stays on chain till they're locked up then he roams their area(2acre fenced area)...

We call him Sarge!
10838410_1585704988327082_1259261234_n.jpg
Oh my goodness! Just look at that gorgeous face!

Now, yes. Previously, no. The chickens are nearly full grown now so the dogs are less interested than they were when the chicks were small and skittery. Making sure the chickens are acclimated and don't panic around the dogs is a definite factor. A flapping, running, squawking thing is so much more tempting! My gold comet walked right up to my big rottie Fred and pecked him right on the butt the other day, she's VERY comfortable around the dogs which rrally helps. I can let the dogs out, let the chickens out and get some weeding done or housework without worry. However, I wouldn't leave everyone alone while I went out on an errand for the afternoon. I've got hawks around and I wouldn't want the dogs to bark (quiet neighborhood) So that's just my particular situation here. Loose supervision.

As others have stated, each dog is different, go slowly slowly slowly, and be ready to accept that it might not work out. Good luck! What's your situation?

We can't have chickens where we live (townhouse on golf course) but are wanting to move, and get another dog or three ... I like Rottweilers ... My wife likes German Shepards ...

Oh drat! Having had both, I prefer the rotties. The shedding and the energy level is a little more tolerable. Mine are less inventive than shepherds when they get into trouble too. Here's hoping you get a little slice of heaven and some room for one of each!

Back
Top Bottom