Rouen Duck stopped quacking a while ago. Is she actually a he?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vanillachai, Jul 23, 2016.

1. vanillachai

vanillachai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2015
    (Edit) Okay, new question. If she turns out to be a he, which seems likely, That gives me one drake (Rouen) and two ducks (Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin). Is that ratio okay or should I start figuring out how to get a third female? (/edit) My Rouen was the first one to quack and did so very early. Four weeks I think. So I assumed she was female. But around six or seven weeks when the others started quacking, she stopped and went back to peeping. Now they are nine weeks and she's making raspy quacks that sound masculine. As far as I can tell she's been healthy the whole time. She does have a suspicious green sheen on her head, but I can't see any noticeable male markings yet. I'm very sure it was her quacking first. I would carry them to the bath one at a time and she would quack loudly. Does a young male duckling ever have a misleading quack like this? If anyone wants pics I'll try to take some when I get the chance. Got a few pictures. They're in the shade right now, so I don't have a picture of the sun on the head, but hopefully these help.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like a young drake approaching puberty. Post pictures when you can. What color is the bird's beak?

3. vanillachai

Apr 17, 2015
    Edited the first post with some pictures. I have a feeling she turned out to be a drake. The bill is olive I think. I'm pretty new to ducks, but I find it odd that it did full loud feminine quacks for about two weeks. I was under the impression that drakes never quack, just peep until they rasp.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nothing is 100 % just yet. I'd wait on the nuptial plumage and drake curl but the bill color and raspy voice do indicate drake.

5. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    hes beautiful

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  6. vanillachai

Apr 17, 2015
    I guess they'll be keeping me in suspense a little longer then. Haha.

Thanks. :) All of them are looking great. I end up watching them longer than planned a lot.

7. vanillachai

Apr 17, 2015
    Sorry to double post, but is one male with two females okay or should I try to search out another female or two?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Your drake would say "the more the merrier " lol but honestly some drakes are fine with 2 ducks but most should have at least 3-4 That way they hopefully won't over mate any of them.

My Muscovy drake has 6 ladies and he is 1 happy dude.

9. vanillachai

Apr 17, 2015
    Hahaha. Good for him. Thank you for the info. I'll see if maybe I can find a couple more ladies. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I forgot to tell you your ducks are gorgeous.. and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by