Rouen Duck stopped quacking a while ago. Is she actually a he?

vanillachai

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2015
(Edit) Okay, new question. If she turns out to be a he, which seems likely, That gives me one drake (Rouen) and two ducks (Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin). Is that ratio okay or should I start figuring out how to get a third female? (/edit) My Rouen was the first one to quack and did so very early. Four weeks I think. So I assumed she was female. But around six or seven weeks when the others started quacking, she stopped and went back to peeping. Now they are nine weeks and she's making raspy quacks that sound masculine. As far as I can tell she's been healthy the whole time. She does have a suspicious green sheen on her head, but I can't see any noticeable male markings yet. I'm very sure it was her quacking first. I would carry them to the bath one at a time and she would quack loudly. Does a young male duckling ever have a misleading quack like this? If anyone wants pics I'll try to take some when I get the chance. Got a few pictures. They're in the shade right now, so I don't have a picture of the sun on the head, but hopefully these help.

Last edited:
Sounds like a young drake approaching puberty. Post pictures when you can. What color is the bird's beak?

Edited the first post with some pictures. I have a feeling she turned out to be a drake. The bill is olive I think. I'm pretty new to ducks, but I find it odd that it did full loud feminine quacks for about two weeks. I was under the impression that drakes never quack, just peep until they rasp.

Nothing is 100 % just yet. I'd wait on the nuptial plumage and drake curl but the bill color and raspy voice do indicate drake.

My Rouen was the first one to quack and did so very early. Four weeks I think. So I assumed she was female. But around six or seven weeks when the others started quacking, she stopped and went back to peeping. Now they are nine weeks and she's making raspy quacks that sound masculine. As far as I can tell she's been healthy the whole time. She does have a suspicious green sheen on her head, but I can't see any noticeable male markings yet. I'm very sure it was her quacking first. I would carry them to the bath one at a time and she would quack loudly. Does a young male duckling ever have a misleading quack like this? If anyone wants pics I'll try to take some when I get the chance. Got a few pictures. They're in the shade right now, so I don't have a picture of the sun on the head, but hopefully these help.
hes beautiful

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but is one male with two females okay or should I try to search out another female or two?

Sorry to double post, but is one male with two females okay or should I try to search out another female or two?
Your drake would say "the more the merrier " lol but honestly some drakes are fine with 2 ducks but most should have at least 3-4 That way they hopefully won't over mate any of them.

My Muscovy drake has 6 ladies and he is 1 happy dude.

Your drake would say "the more the merrier " lol but honestly some drakes are fine with 2 ducks but most should have at least 3-4 That way they hopefully won't over mate any of them.

My Muscovy drake has 6 ladies and he is 1 happy dude.

Hahaha. Good for him. Thank you for the info. I'll see if maybe I can find a couple more ladies.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom