Rouen Duck thread

Pics
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread. Beautiful boys and ladies everyone. Now the egg thing. All ducks will decrease the amount of eggs they lay in winter. Some don't lay at all during the winter or very few. This is due to their bodies reacting to the colder temps and not as much sunlight. K EPP most likely you will still have until Spring because during the colder months drake hormones will decrease and they won't be as sexually active. Yvonne as long as you collect eggs daily you won't have any babies. But if you don't collect them then they might try to brood. I don't eat my duck eggs so if I can I give them away to family members if not I just throw them out into the woods. Brklync being domesticated doesn't have anything to do with it. I will be honest this will be my first year for ducks during the winter besides Pekins. Last winter my pekins still laid an egg almost every day. However I did have a heat lamp on in there duck house. Which increased there light hours and the temps a little bit.

I have three rouen ducks and one is the oldest at about a month and a half and the other two are ten days behind. I have a few questions. My first question is about the cold. It gets about 30-40 at night and 50-60 during the day. They have a heat lamp in their pen in the garage and i was wondering if they're fine outside or not. My second question is about one of my younger ducks. Her wings stick out and it looks like angel wing but I'm not sure.

It sticks out like this all the time. Is there Something I should do?

"Yvonne as long as you collect eggs daily you won't have any babies. But if you don't collect them then they might try to brood."
Are you saying that I need to leave some eggs in the nest to be able to collect fertile eggs. I plan on putting them in an Incubator.

This is Leroy our only pure rouen. This photo is from last year. He still hasn't gotten back all the bright colors yet

I have three rouen ducks and one is the oldest at about a month and a half and the other two are ten days behind. I have a few questions. My first question is about the cold. It gets about 30-40 at night and 50-60 during the day. They have a heat lamp in their pen in the garage and i was wondering if they're fine outside or not. My second question is about one of my younger ducks. Her wings stick out and it looks like angel wing but I'm not sure. It sticks out like this all the time. Is there Something I should do?
Do they look like the duck in the picture for wing growth? If so than they will need to be somewhere warmer during the night but they might be fine during the day as long as they can get out of the cold. Can you get a better pic of the possible angel wing? And how long has the wing been like that? If its been there for awhile it isn't fixable but if you caught it early enough it can be reversed.

"Yvonne as long as you collect eggs daily you won't have any babies. But if you don't collect them then they might try to brood."
Are you saying that I need to leave some eggs in the nest to be able to collect fertile eggs. I plan on putting them in an Incubator.

To know if the eggs are fertile you can either collect a few and put them in your incubator and see if you get any growth or you can crack open a few eggs and check the fertility that way. Here's a link for that method. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures that way you know what to look for. But to answer your question they don't need to have a nest of eggs for them to be fertile. Fertility is caused by successful mating only. However, it only takes one successful time for her to be able to lay fertile eggs for up to two weeks after the successful mating.

My girl just started laying eggs about 2 weeks ago she has 10 in her nest so far will she sit on them this late in the year.

Back
Top Bottom