Rouen Duck thread

We never had this problem. We put them in the bathtub for short swims when they were only a few weeks old lol. Now they love their kiddie pool. Even though we have raised them from day old ducklings they are still skittish though. The only thing I've found to help is mealworms. I've given them enough that they now come running when they hear the bag lol. Also try buying some live minnows and put them in the kiddy pool. Hopefully when they see them instinct will kick in lol. I also throw the mealworms in the pool so they can get them that way. Good luck. :)

Mine had baths everyday since they were 2 and 3 weeks old, for some reason they are afraid of the pond :/

Hello, I have a 11months old Rouen drake and its my first time with ducks he has a pekin friend also a drake, my rouen started to dance circles around me and rubs himself against my legs and trips me as I walk...can anyone tell me if this is a matting thing or just display of affection? Thanks

Hello, I have a 11months old Rouen drake and its my first time with ducks he has a pekin friend also a drake, my rouen started to dance circles around me and rubs himself against my legs and trips me as I walk...can anyone tell me if this is a matting thing or just display of affection? Thanks

I'm not for sure but I think it's just a love thing. I think if it was mating he would be more aggressive.. :)

Thank you for your post!! My husband thought of "rounding them up" using the plastic, green garden fencing and, as you suggested, forcing them into the pool. W will probably try your suggestion doing this and see what happens! I will report back after we try that along with the other suggestion posted to add minnows and mealworms to the water..

Thank you! We will buying mealworms and minnows and trying your suggestion. We look forward to seeing them get excited about the mealworms. They are so adorable! We
are also going to try to "coax" them by herding them wit plastic garden fencing and see if that, along with mealworms along the ramp will get them in .. I'll report back after trying these suggestions :)

Thank you! We will buying mealworms and minnows and trying your suggestion. We look forward to seeing them get excited about the mealworms. They are so adorable! We
are also going to try to "coax" them by herding them wit plastic garden fencing and see if that, along with mealworms along the ramp will get them in .. I'll report back after trying these suggestions  :)

Good luck. If you have the minnows in there already and then throw the mealworms on top so they are floating they will never want to leave lol

I am new to ducks as well! I have just a Rouen and an Indian runner. I have physically put picked the up and placed them in the kiddie pool. They are almost full sized now so when they get in they get so excited flapping and swimming around that they scare themselves out. They rarely go in on their own. Strange. I might try the minnows.

I am new to ducks as well! I have just a Rouen and an Indian runner. I have physically put picked the up and placed them in the kiddie pool. They are almost full sized now so when they get in they get so excited flapping and swimming around that they scare themselves out. They rarely go in on their own. Strange. I might try the minnows.

So strange. Mine never want to get out of the pool. Make sure you check the temp too. If they are not fully feathered the water may be to cold or to warm...

Hmmm mine won't go in if the water gets too dirty. Only takes a few hours if they don't leave it for a min. The second I dump and put fresh water in the go crazy for it.

So yesterday I forgot I had water going on my melons when we left for the day. Got back to a muddy pool. My daughter wanted to play in the mud and I decided it shouldn't go to waste. The ducks were happy to get some free range time and to play in the mud. Well, and nibble on some cute little fingers and toes lol!!

So they have been heavily moulting for the past few weeks and I have noticed my male doesn't seem to be getting any of his "boy" feathers in still. We also live in the desert and it has been hitting 108 F during the day here. Do I need to up their food to 18% protein. I can't tell if they are just thinner looking because of the molting or if they are burning more nutrients than they are getting trying to stay cool. It's starting to worry me. I'm putting in an order for peck and scratch feed and was planning to get them 16% but I'm thinking I might get the 18% for my chickens and them. Please anyone know what I should do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom