Rouen Duck thread

They are 5 months old and the drake just got his curl. They told me the ducks were mallard. But they got them a ducklings at a coop and need to re-home them. are not Rouen`s in the mallard class ?

They are 5 months old and the drake just got his curl. They told me the ducks were mallard. But they got them a ducklings at a coop and need to re-home them. are not Rouen`s in the mallard class ?

Rouens are basically the same thing as mallards except they are bigger. Can you take a picture with something as a size reference like a shoe or something. Then I can tell you what they are. :) also yes they are derived from the mallards.

can someone please tell me the breed and if it's male or female. I was told runner but I'm sure that's not right

Well if it's a Rouen, it can fly. I can attest to it. Today while I was picking tomatoes in my garden, I saw my 16 week old female Rouen fly 100 feet from our backyard and over our 40 foot trees. Thank God I was standing nearby or we would've lost her. She flew in the trees and then flew over to where I was standing nearby. I swear I read somewhere here that they couldn't fly. We just let them start roaming around a small uncovered, but fenced area in the yard yesterday!!!!! Well as of 8:00 pm EST they were back in their 6 x 5 x 10' run!

So be forewarned fellow Rouen-ers, these little suckers can fly. When she got back to her house, the males were pecking at her and I think one was trying to, well I'll keep it clean. That must've been what was happening before she flew the coop and she didn't want any of it!!!!!!!

Well if it's a Rouen, it can fly. I can attest to it. Today while I was picking tomatoes in my garden, I saw my 16 week old female Rouen fly 100 feet from our backyard and over our 40 foot trees. Thank God I was standing nearby or we would've lost her. She flew in the trees and then flew over to where I was standing nearby.  I swear I read somewhere here that they couldn't fly. We just let them start roaming around a small uncovered, but fenced area in the yard yesterday!!!!! Well as of 8:00 pm EST they were back in their 6 x 5 x 10' run! 

So be forewarned fellow Rouen-ers, these little suckers can fly. When she got back to her house, the males were pecking at her and I think one was trying to, well I'll keep it clean. That must've been what was happening before she flew the coop and she didn't want any of it!!!!!!!

Yeah, but Rouens flying is very rare. Not unheard of, but rare. Drakes usually can't, but a few can. Most don't, as they are too big, if properly bred.
And are you sure they weren't Mallards?

My Runners did a little more flying - short distances, a couple feet off the ground - when they were that age. By the time they fully matured, they weren't even doing the wing-assisted jumping. They like to stand tall, flap their wings, and Vier likes to dance around and around while flapping her wings.

My Runners did a little more flying - short distances, a couple feet off the ground - when they were that age.  By the time they fully matured, they weren't even doing the wing-assisted jumping.  They like to stand tall, flap their wings, and Vier likes to dance around and around while flapping her wings.

Yes, mine are mixes but they love to do so. They flap all day long and run around and flap like maniacs.

Back
Top Bottom