rouen or mallard

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
should i get rouen or mallard. i would get a mallard but im just worrying about if flying away. i also dont believe in clipping wings. and how similar do rouens and mallards look. i know rouens are bigger. if you have pics of both that would be nice. thanks in advance.

should i get rouen or mallard. i would get a mallard but im just worrying about if flying away. i also dont believe in clipping wings. and how similar do rouens and mallards look. i know rouens are bigger. if you have pics of both that would be nice. thanks in advance.
I don't have either breed just Muscovy, but seems you've answered your own question. If you don't want to clip wings and your worried they may fly away which i guess is possible, thats one reason i clip one wing on my Scovies you'd be better off getting Rouen they are beautiful large breed ducks.

Last edited:
It depends on your situation.

Do you want a pet,eggs,or meat?

Will you be free ranging?

If raising in a pen how large would the pen be?

I personally have Mallards and have found them to be excellent birds. However they are small and would be a easy meal if I free ranged them.

i want them as pets and i woudnt mind eggs. they will be free ranging. (they will be in my chicken coop at night, i have coons, foxes, hawks, etc) i would raise them in a cattle water tank for a while. i might be raising 2 rouen/mallard, 2 buff ducks, 2 khaki campbell, and 4 pekins. when im done with that they will be in my chicken coop for a while until they're big enough where cats wont eat them. (the chickens will be on the perch and the ducks will be on the floor) and then ill let them free range. after considering i am most likely going to get rouens if my wife will let me. (she thinks i have enough birds)

i want them as pets and i woudnt mind eggs. they will be free ranging. (they will be in my chicken coop at night, i have coons, foxes, hawks, etc) i would raise them in a cattle water tank for a while. i might be raising 2 rouen/mallard, 2 buff ducks, 2 khaki campbell, and 4 pekins. when im done with that they will be in my chicken coop for a while until they're big enough where cats wont eat them. (the chickens will be on the perch and the ducks will be on the floor) and then ill let them free range. after considering i am most likely going to get rouens if my wife will let me. (she thinks i have enough birds)
another thing is to consider size if you get Rouens they will be able to hold their own with breeds such as Pekin etc. where a mallard duck could be injured by a Pekin or another large breed duck.

well that would help because i guess i never thought about it. the only different breeds ive raised together are mallards and campbells.

well that would help because i guess i never thought about it. the only different breeds ive raised together are mallards and campbells.
I'm thinking if you are going to keep these ducks together then your drakes of the other breeds will be mating with your mallard duck which would not be good for her because of size and weight difference. thats what i was referring to

I just adopted a mallard drake and hen. I also have a flock welsh harlequin, buff, blue swedish, and a cayuga hens. I was thinking of integrating the mallards with the other girls but I'm guessing it might not be the best idea. My girls are brats and I'm not sure anyone will get along. Get a rouen. :)

Last edited:
Go for Rouens! not only will you not restrict its natural tendancies by having to clip it but Rouens make much better pets. Mallards although domesticated are still wild however with Rouens they are basically the decendance of mallards which have been domesticated by humans for hundreds of years. Basically huge friendly mallards. If you need some encouragement just take a look at my videos. They show what great pets rouens make :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom