Rough coop design. Need insight.

Rae Scott

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
Northeast Ohio
So fiance and i decided to scale way back and do 4 layers 2 AL 1 BO AND 1 LO and skip the meat because we really dont know if we could butcher them ourselves and we cant find anyone local that will do it for us. We still wanted to build a slightly larger coop tho in case it goes well and we want to expand in the future. These are the rough sketches i cam up with just to help minimize the cutting of sheets of plywood etc we would need to do. Any insights into improvements would be appreciated. I didnt sketch out the run cause i got nadda on that as for plans and budget.

Just a thought but ...you have the main door and chicken doors on the sides of the coop where the rain is going to run off . Personally I would put the doors on the sides where the rain does not run off.

Depending on your carpentry skills you may not even want a peaked roof ( which requires trusses though they may be small ) a single slope would be easier to build .... all depends how fancy you want to make it . Whatever you build post some pics and good luck !

In the second drawing is the a reason that the (back?) roofline is not extended out past the wall? depending on exterior materials and vents in that wall you might what a equal overhang. Otherwise I think the flower boxes will add a nice touch.

Scott

Also think about snow Sliding off the roof, or rain freezing- creating obstructions to the doors!

Are there just the two vents at the peak? Do the windows open, or are they just glass? The two vents at the peak alone won't be enough ventilation. If the windows are vented are they directly in front of the roosts? that may cause frostbite issues with a cold draft across the roosts.

Make sure your roosts are higher than the nest boxes. Are the nest boxes just accessed from outside? It might be difficult to reach them easily with the roosts in front of them. Have you thought about putting in a poop board under the roosts? It will help keep the floor cleaner and have more usable floor space for the birds.

In the second drawing is the a reason that the (back?) roofline is not extended out past the wall? depending on exterior materials and vents in that wall you might what a equal overhang. Otherwise I think the flower boxes will add a nice touch.

Scott

I forgot to draw it that way. The coop is gonna be under a tree partiallt as well and the human door will face the house.

Are there just the two vents at the peak? Do the windows open, or are they just glass? The two vents at the peak alone won't be enough ventilation. If the windows are vented are they directly in front of the roosts? that may cause frostbite issues with a cold draft across the roosts.

Make sure your roosts are higher than the nest boxes. Are the nest boxes just accessed from outside? It might be difficult to reach them easily with the roosts in front of them. Have you thought about putting in a poop board under the roosts? It will help keep the floor cleaner and have more usable floor space for the birds.

Venting: on the roof there is the turbine and ridge venting, only some of the windows open, mainly the ones on either side of the human door and possible the ones above the pop doors all those windows will be ,mesh covered but also have glass panes that can be closed for the winter( think old basement windows), there is also going to be grated mesh covered venting on the top of the sides as well as possible venting under the overhang., given wall space on front and back is around 6' i think its safe to say the functioning windows will be above the roosts.

Roosts will be at least 1 foot away from nest boxes and a foot above

Nest boxes will actually have two doors, one lifts up for egg gathering, the other is the back of the nest folds down for cleaning these will have latchs for security.

Poop board i did not think of, thank you for suggesting it!

Overall I think you've got a good plan. Looks pretty cute on the front with the planter boxes. I assume out of the back they'll go into a secured run? (Otherwise, those planter boxes are going to have everything eaten all the time!)

Overall I think you've got a good plan. Looks pretty cute on the front with the planter boxes. I assume out of the back they'll go into a secured run? (Otherwise, those planter boxes are going to have everything eaten all the time!)
Yes there will be a run. Not suee how large we are gonna make it at first given we will only be starting with 4 hens this year and may add 2 later in the year.

Gotcha. Run size will matter most if they are going to be in there full-time vs. having some free range time. Again, think you're on the right track!

Back
Top Bottom