Rough grayish spots speckling egg shell

smudge

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Long Island, NY
One of our Buff Orps is laying these eggs that feel rough on the surface, sort of a grayish speckling covering the surface fairly consistently. Is this something to worry about? Does she have some sort of chicken endometriosis or something even more worrying?

FWIW, she's the smallest of 6, but is laying the largest eggs of the bunch, and it seems to take a lot of effort on her part - and she requires the most privacy while laying,

Thanks for the link - that looks like what it it is!

She seems to be doing it fairly consistently - they've only been laying for ~2 months. The other girls don't seem to have this problem, and I know it's her eggs because she insists on privacy when laying. She'll wait until the others are free ranging before using a nesting box.

While it could be a defective gland, I'm going to see if changing where they spend the night makes a difference. The girls like to roost near windows, and we've crazy renters across the street who come/go at all hours of the night according to another neighbor who's awakened by all the headlights shining through her bedroom windows. The latest is they've started flashing Christmas lights - not particularly decoratively, just what looks like 1 strand in a straight line, in seizure inducing colors flashing.

I had a playhouse delivered for the girls last weekend. The only windows face a river with a nature preserve on the other side, and the guide beacon has been removed for the winter.
wink.png
So we shall if this helps little Lily. And the others who are laying occasion night eggs when high beams startle them.

Again, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom