Rough week

Mar 18, 2020
Fredrick County, VA
My MIL went out of town unexpectedly (funeral). No biggie, she left them locked up and l can drive out and take care of them after work a couple times a week until she gets back. We just expanded the run and they have auto feeders/waterers, so it's mostly collecting eggs and giving everyone some attention.
Then, a few days ago, a big storm blew up during the afternoon and knocked a tree down on the coops and tore a big whole in the chicken run. Several hens escaped, so I put the remaining chickens in the duck coop with the duck and brought the drake to my house until we can get things straightened out. It was getting pretty dark, so I left food and water in the run and hoped that they others would come home the next day.
I realized that I had missed something when I came over the next afternoon and the chickens were in the driveway. Something (big raccoon, maybe?) got into the coop and killed the duck. I patched up the duck run and coaxed in the hens from the driveway, but the rooster and almost half the flock were missing.
I was able to get off work early yesterday, so I went out and fixed up the chicken run and spread some cracked corn, hoping to tempt some of the loose chickens to show themselves, but no luck.
Today I went over and someone did eat the corn, but I also found a big pile white feathers at the end of the driveway. I feel awful! I haven't seen any of the others, still, so I think they're hiding out somewhere up further in the woods and coming down in the mornings. I don't have a day off where I can be out in the morning until Friday.
I was playing with the idea of trying to trap the chickens in the run, but I'm afraid that anything they can get into would let our predator in, too!
Aaggghhhh!!! :barnie

So I went back out last night and I still didn't see the loose chickens. Someone ate out of the feeder in the run, though, and no new feathers, so I'm hopeful that I'll at least see them and maybe even coax them home tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the support!! I feel like my family doesn't quite get it sometimes 😐 (though they do try).

We get it here, and I'm sure that your family understands that it's tough on you -- even if they don't understand HOW someone can care so much about their chickens.

I will keep hoping that you get to bring at least some of your girls home. Please continue with updates.

Still nothing. I even spent the night last night so I could be watching at dawn. There was a group of 4-5 crows at the run feeder, but no rooster song and no hens. I'm starting to lose hope.
I know we have red-tails, sharp-shins, occasional eagles, raccoons, foxes (both red and gray), oppossums, and black bears in the woods behind our property. I've heard that coyotes and cougars come through sometimes, too, but I've never seen either. We hadn't lost any birds to predators until now, but it's been a week with them unprotected.

Back
Top Bottom