roughly what age do these look like? and what sex? type turkey?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
as the title asks, what age do these look like to you? they have mainly feathers (not so much fluff)
the ducklings on the right of the last pic are 3ish weeks old (to give an idea of size)
are turkey babys so big and get feathers so soon?
they are also not under a heat lamp day or night.......?

also does anyone know how to sex a turkey, and what kind of turkeys these are likely to be?

100_5673.jpg

100_5672.jpg

100_5671.jpg

100_5670.jpg

100_5674.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say about a month to six weeks old. The white ones I believe are either Midget Whites or Beltsville Small Whites. Two of the three whites I think are hens and the other a tom. The speckled one I can't say what breed but I think it's a tom.

4-6 weeks? wow what a difference to what i was told! he also said it was 1 male to 3 females...how do you tell the difference?

so they arent all the same breed? thats a shame. the guy told me they were 1 to 2 weeks old! 3 females, 1 male 'standard' turkeys?

Looking at the photos again there isn't as much size difference between the speckled and the white as I first thought so it might be they are White Hollands if the speckled one isn't a Palm. Hard to say. I'm still going to say about a month or so old. Maybe as young as three weeks, but I'm thinking a month or a bit more.

Steve or one of the other old-timers could say better about sexing them as they has a lot more experience but I'm going to stand pat with the way I sexed them earlier. The thirty poults I just sold the hens had the lighter colored heads, the toms had the darker. They were a month old before I could really tell though and it becomes clearer from that point on.

Last edited:
I'll defer to Alan on the sexing, but I am going to respectfully disagree on the age. I have some 3 1/2 week old Bourbon Reds and 5 1/2 week old Midget Whites; my first turkeys, so I am no expert. But your birds look like my MWs when they were 2 - 3 weeks old. Mine now are quite a bit bigger, with elongated bodies. Their necks and their wing feathers are long, adding to the pointed look of their bodies. Yours look younger than my BRs are now. (Of course I would think that feed and temperature might accelerate or decelerate growth by a little bit.)

yea....3 weeks absolte tops, I'm guessing they were right on with the age. I raise a ton of these things, mainly wild starin and have 3 brooders full of 1- 4 week olds right.
They look like the 2 week old brooder.
"standard" in turkey talk just mean heritage, the type of size bird, there are also midgets and broad breasted
Every different color you have is a different breed. You will be able to sex them easily in about 4 months or so, til then, it would all just be guessing with out hands on sexing, and turkey vent sexing is tuff

well ive found out they "Ronquiere" turkeys..so a medium sized turkey
smile.png
good good
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom