Round and Fat 1 Week Chick - Something Wrong?

Oh, poor thing. Looks like she is struggling to poop. If you're needing to clean her vent off every day, at least she is still pooping, even if it's not much. I would make sure you keep her very clean as you have been. Do you have any nutrients or chick electrolytes to see if you can perk her up a bit?
Company is actually better for any chicks/chicken's recovery.
I agree with this except they might peck at her backside.
@TeresaInTexas Do you have something see-through where she could be with the rest of the chicks but not able to get at them? Even something like a little hamster cage or something similar would work perfectly.

Oh, poor thing. Looks like she is struggling to poop. If you're needing to clean her vent off every day, at least she is still pooping, even if it's not much. I would make sure you keep her very clean as you have been. Do you have any nutrients or chick electrolytes to see if you can perk her up a bit?

@TeresaInTexas Do you have something see-through where she could be with the rest of the chicks but not able to get at them? Even something like a little hamster cage or something similar would work perfectly.
I have her and one other chick separated in another tub. I am hoping this will give her time to heal and with her being separated from the others I can keep an eye on her better with regards to eating, drinking and pooping. I’ve put water in the chick feed along with coconut oil and I also put some electlites

I have put her and another chick in a separate crate. I put water and coconut oil in their chick feed and am giving them electrolytes in the water. I hope by separating them it will give me the opportunity to watch her closely to make sure she is eating, drinking and keeping an eye on her poop and hoping her stress level goes down. I know the other chicks where starting to pick on her. I hope she gets well soon. I didn’t realize that I would become so attached to these chicks.

I have her and one other chick separated in another tub. I am hoping this will give her time to heal and with her being separated from the others I can keep an eye on her better with regards to eating, drinking and pooping. I’ve put water in the chick feed along with coconut oil and I also put some electlites

I have put her and another chick in a separate crate. I put water and coconut oil in their chick feed and am giving them electrolytes in the water. I hope by separating them it will give me the opportunity to watch her closely to make sure she is eating, drinking and keeping an eye on her poop and hoping her stress level goes down. I know the other chicks where starting to pick on her. I hope she gets well soon. I didn’t realize that I would become so attached to these chicks.

Don't give her electrolytes in the water without also offering plain water.

A little can be good when the birds are stressed, too much is counterproductive.

Imagine if you never had anything but Gatorade to drink!

How is she doing?
She is doing better and she goes crazy over the coconut oil which is a good thing, however, her vent is still swollen. I want to intergrate her back into the flock soon. Another thing is she is very small compared to the other chicks, which is concerning.

She is not alone as I have another chicken with her who also still has a swollen vent.

Back
Top Bottom