Round Chicken Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DJT, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DJT

DJT New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    My name is Denise and I am 62 years old and live in MI. I bought a dozen eggs a week ago and in the middle of the carton was a round egg. It looks like a golf ball. Is this common. I have never seen a round egg... it is pretty cool looking. No one I ask, including my 90 year old mother, has ever seen a round egg. I don't know what to do with it. [​IMG]

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Eat It!!!!!

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I find my younger hens lay narrower eggs and my older hens lay more roundish eggs.

4. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    One of my hens lays a round egg almost every day. Today it almost looked normal...that was not normal lol

5. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

One of my hens is notorious for eggs that are difficult to tell which end is "up" coz they are so round.

I have some BO girls that lay rather long skinny eggs.

I guess it just varies by hen, and yes it can and does change some as they age

7. Knox Chick Inn

Knox Chick Inn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

I have a new layer that is putting out round eggs. There is a red hard mark on it, too...[​IMG]
    All the eggs with marks are round.

8. iawoodchip

iawoodchip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Ia. area
    This is a good place to share my egg stories, I started over this spring with 10 brown bovines / comet type adult battery hens. Overall they've been laying 70% to 80%, Most of which are Large to X-large. But then almost daily they will give me a fluke like a soft rubber like shell, a real thin shell, a fart egg with no yolk in it, A few without any shell at all. They have oyster shell in a self feeder, they get 16% commercial feed, a little black oil sunflower seed, and some free range almost every day. I'm thinking they just got over worked

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by