Roundworm? How to treat?

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
Hi All! I believe that this is a roundworm that I found in my chicken’s poop. We were away for a week and they spent the entire time locked up in their coop and secure 18x8 covered run - and today I found this! They usually get the afternoons outside when we’re home.

What do you all recommend to treat it, and do they eat it or is it topical? I do have Safeguard dewormer for goats on hand, but don’t know that dosage either.

EDIT TO ADD: So much on the internet that it is confusing! Is there a preferred topical treatment vs. something they ingest? What is the egg withdrawal for any of the treatments?

Thanks so much for your input!

74A7C371-B424-46FC-90AE-0B1F7BCB365A.jpeg

Yep, that's a large roundworm. Use the Safeguard liquid goat wormer to dose each chicken orally. Use a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 0.23ml per pound for 5 days. Just use the average weight of your birds, you dont have to weigh each one.

Can I soak a piece of bread in it or does it have to be given in their mouth? I’ve never done that, yet!

The soaked bread may or may not work. Some birds eat it, some dont. Others will try to steal it from one another. Sometimes the soaked bread falls apart. It's not a very effective way of worming a bird.

Have someone hold a hen for you. Have your preloaded syringe loaded and ready to use.
Pull straight down on the wattles using one hand and her mouth will open. Then with your free hand grab the syringe and shoot the liquid in the birds mouth, and immediately release the wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. ONLY administer 1/2ml of the liquid at a time, anymore than that, she might aspirate. Then there will be big problems.
Once you're done giving her all the liquid out of the syringe, release her to go on her way. Then reload your syringe and get another hen and do it all over again until all your birds have been wormed.

Consider practicing the procedure, a dry run so to speak without the wormer. You'll catch on quick.
It's best to worm your birds early in the morning before letting them out of the coop. Just snatch one off the roost and worm them in that manner. Also it's best to worm them before they eat anything. It makes the wormer more effective and the worms will be starving for nutrients...feed them the wormer.

Last edited:
The soaked bread may or may not work. Some birds eat it, some dont. Others will try to steal it from one another. Sometimes the soaked bread falls apart. It's not a very effective way of worming a bird.

Have someone hold a hen for you. Have your preloaded syringe loaded and ready to use.
Pull straight down on the wattles using one hand and her mouth will open. Then with your free hand grab the syringe and shoot the liquid in the birds mouth, and immediately release the wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. ONLY administer 1/2ml of the liquid at a time, anymore than that, she might aspirate. Then there will be big problems.
Once you're done giving her all the liquid out of the syringe, release her to go on her way. Then reload your syringe and get another hen and do it all over again until all your birds have been wormed.

Consider practicing the procedure, a dry run so to speak without the wormer. You'll catch on quick.
It's best to worm your birds early in the morning before letting them out of the coop. Just snatch one off the roost and worm them in that manner. Also it's best to worm them before they eat anything. It makes the wormer more effective and the worms will be starving for nutrients...feed them the wormer.

I found this pic in a previous post. Do you do this or squirt in the mouth?

Attachments

• 2A9FD726-E541-46B0-A4F6-F593B40970F7.jpeg
    2A9FD726-E541-46B0-A4F6-F593B40970F7.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 5
This is how I do it. I open mouth and block it from closing. I always gently put the edge of the syringe in just past the hole you see at the side and base of the tongue. Never want to put anything in that hole, it is the opening to lungs.

Back
Top Bottom