Roundworms! Question about worming and "worminator"

We had a confirmed case of roundworm 2 months ago. and found out much after lots of research. First...Wazine has a 17 day with drawl for eggs and 21 I think for slaughter. Ended up using that as I could not find anything else at that time. During the 17 day with drawl from eggs period, I had lots of time to do more research. Found a product from Europe called Flubenvet. Made by Eli Lily. No withdrawl sold at feed and seed stores there. But in America....Eli Lily is going to make it prescription. So continued to look and found Triple Wormer from Rooster Booster. No withdrawl for eggs and like the ingredients. So we did the first dosing using the Wazine and second dosing 20 days later with the triple wormer. Plus found that round worm, eggs, larvae and the worm all can live for 10 years plus in the soil. So I needed to break the cycle. Went on line and found ...again from Europe...a soil steriliser, which is effective and inexpensive. We have been using Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade for years, in the chickens feed and in their roost/nesting and outdoor pen for years. What I found was that once it gets wet, as in swallowing or mixing in water, or getting it wet, it looses it's sharp edges which are supposed to slash the parasites and dehydrate and kill the parasites. But still has nice minerals for internal use. If the soil you put it on is kept continually dry, as in the roost/nest, pin rooms it will be effective.

So now once every 4 months or so, I wander around the chicken yard and collect up fresh poops, put them in a qt. baggie, keep the refrigerated and then take then that same day down to our local Vet who checks them for worms and eggs. We lost several hens to round worms before we knew what was going on. they justs one day got really lethargic and once we noticed we picked them up and found they were skinny as could be. But fluffy feathers can be deceiving. I hate loosing my kids.
I'd like to see the links to the research you did stating that wazine has a 17 day egg withdrawal and 21 day slaughter withdrawal. What is the soil sterilizer from Europe? You're correct about worm eggs staying in the soil for years...if the soil sterilizer works, please post more info on it for all to see (links.) I'm glad that you've learned that DE is useless as a wormer.
Here's directions on wazine as stated on the bottle; 14 day slaughter withdrawal...not for egg consumption.The way I look at it is if the chicken is good to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs. I've eaten the eggs after 14 days, but that's up to you.
Ideally, you want to reworm birds around the 10th day, no later than the 14th day. That's when larva are maturing into adults and you want to nail them before becoming adult worms. That's when they start.reproducing and laying eggs again, thus not ending their lifecycle.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom