Roux Dilute/Egyptian Coturnix Quail Discussion Thread

I started Breeding the Roux Dilute in 2010 and at that time they were a harder to get item. I do not call them Egyptian, just Roux. I have recently brought in new blood I am testing out to see if they can be added to my program however I am noticing some much lighter than what I generally raise. I do enjoy that due to the sex link I can raise specific birds for meat and others for eggs by crossing.

Main Color Directory

This is a real fun one, and one of the few known sex-link genes in coturnix. Since females control gender in birds, and have only one Z gene, they only need one copy of the "roux" gene to express the coloration, whereas males, who have two Z genes, need two - one from each parent.

"Roux Dilute" is the name of the color, but sometimes you'll see them called "Egyptian" as well. It's a specific term used to describe the exact cross of the parents - a homozygous roux dilute male crossed onto a normal pharaoh female. The resulting male offspring will all be pharaoh/wild-type, and the female offspring roux dilute, making it easy to tell gender from birth.

Sometimes people use "fawn" and "cinnamon" interchangeably as well but this is a bit incorrect and confusing as both of those actually describe separate other color genes as well.

View attachment 1899781 (left, with dilute pharoah right)View attachment 1899782 (center/left)View attachment 1899783 (far left)View attachment 1899823

Have you got this color? Want to know where to find some? Noticed anything unusual about breeding it or any particularly interesting combinations with other colors? Have pictures to share? Join in!

I started Breeding the Roux Dilute in 2010 and at that time they were a harder to get item. I do not call them Egyptian, just Roux. I have recently brought in new blood I am testing out to see if they can be added to my program however I am noticing some much lighter than what I generally raise. I do enjoy that due to the sex link I can raise specific birds for meat and others for eggs by crossing.
Can you share a few pictures of your bird's colors?

What are the dimensions of your pens? And how many birds in each pen on an average?

:frow Theyre all crazy diff sizes. Most were bought cheap cheap or free from craigslist. Only two were built for my purpose that is the huge brooder and the 4'x18" breeding pen. I try to keep about 1 adult bird per sq ft. My brooder is 4'x2' it can hold up to 100 babies pretty comfortably for the first wk. The 3 main breeder pens are 3'x2' and i generally keep around 6 birds in each section of it. I do not deduct the waterer or sand bath area and keep fewer birds the way some people recommend. A fourth is 6'x18" it houses about 10. A fifth is 4'x18" and it houses about 6. 2 grow outs are 3'x18" '40 gallon breeder' fishtanks. I really like having that pair on the back porch for the first wk outside no concern for drafts and i cover it w a towel if its pretty cool. The big grow out is 7'x18" and it houses 15 3 wk olds Today. It all varies greatly, constantly in flux. Some notes: the ones that are 2 ft deep are hard to catch the birds. The ones that are 6 and 7 ft long are hard to catch the birds. I love the 4x18". I hope this helps!

Welcome back!

:frow Theyre all crazy diff sizes. Most were bought cheap cheap or free from craigslist. Only two were built for my purpose that is the huge brooder and the 4'x18" breeding pen. I try to keep about 1 adult bird per sq ft. My brooder is 4'x2' it can hold up to 100 babies pretty comfortably for the first wk. The 3 main breeder pens are 3'x2' and i generally keep around 6 birds in each section of it. I do not deduct the waterer or sand bath area and keep fewer birds the way some people recommend. A fourth is 6'x18" it houses about 10. A fifth is 4'x18" and it houses about 6. 2 grow outs are 3'x18" '40 gallon breeder' fishtanks. I really like having that pair on the back porch for the first wk outside no concern for drafts and i cover it w a towel if its pretty cool. The big grow out is 7'x18" and it houses 15 3 wk olds Today. It all varies greatly, constantly in flux. Some notes: the ones that are 2 ft deep are hard to catch the birds. The ones that are 6 and 7 ft long are hard to catch the birds. I love the 4x18". I hope this helps!

:frow
20191027_154318.jpg
It helped greatly!!! Thanks so much. What height do you try to keep your pens at to prevent injuries? I ordered the wrong size hardware cloth, I got 1/4"X1/4" instead of the 1/2". I've got a bit of the 1/2" left that I'll plan on the bottom of the pens & use the 1/4" on sides & top. That should work, right? My new pen I'm working on is 9'X2', I've thought of maybe making it 2 stories tall. I'm gonna make another one just like it on the other side of the shed. This picture is just of the base frame.

:frowView attachment 1947826 It helped greatly!!! Thanks so much. What height do you try to keep your pens at to prevent injuries? I ordered the wrong size hardware cloth, I got 1/4"X1/4" instead of the 1/2". I've got a bit of the 1/2" left that I'll plan on the bottom of the pens & use the 1/4" on sides & top. That should work, right? My new pen I'm working on is 9'X2', I've thought of maybe making it 2 stories tall. I'm gonna make another one just like it on the other side of the shed. This picture is just of the base frame.

Great! That looks nice! I think you could make it two stories they say 12" is a better height for quail as tall cages stress them out. I havent tried anything over 24" tall. Smallest is 12" and largest are 24".

I think the 1/4" could work on the sides and for sure the top. The bottom which youve already clarified would be 1/2" is where it matter most cuz poop could clog up the 1/4". Maybe if theres enough id do the front too for ease of veiwing.

Great! That looks nice! I think you could make it two stories they say 12" is a better height for quail as tall cages stress them out. I havent tried anything over 24" tall. Smallest is 12" and largest are 24".

I think the 1/4" could work on the sides and for sure the top. The bottom which youve already clarified would be 1/2" is where it matter most cuz poop could clog up the 1/4". Maybe if theres enough id do the front too for ease of veiwing.
20191030_152105.jpg

Ended up being 14 inches tall, hopefully that will be a safe height for them.

Last edited:
Main Color Directory
This is a real fun one, and one of the few known sex-link genes in coturnix. Since females control gender in birds, and have only one Z gene, they only need one copy of the "roux" gene to express the coloration, whereas males, who have two Z genes, need two - one from each parent.

"Roux Dilute" is the name of the color, but sometimes you'll see them called "Egyptian" as well. It's a specific term used to describe the exact cross of the parents - a homozygous roux dilute male crossed onto a normal pharaoh female. The resulting male offspring will all be pharaoh/wild-type, and the female offspring roux dilute, making it easy to tell gender from birth.

Sometimes people use "fawn" and "cinnamon" interchangeably as well but this is a bit incorrect and confusing as both of those actually describe separate other color genes as well.

View attachment 1899781 (left, with dilute pharoah right)View attachment 1899782 (center/left)View attachment 1899783 (far left)View attachment 1899823

Have you got this color? Want to know where to find some? Noticed anything unusual about breeding it or any particularly interesting combinations with other colors? Have pictures to share? Join in!
Are any of these the ones you're talking about?
20191030_175206.jpg

Main Color Directory

Here's my 2 Silver Roos, now just at 6-7 weeks.
20191130_132353.jpg

Back
Top Bottom