1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Royal blue or Slate Palm?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by doubleostud, Sep 12, 2010.

1. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I know they are out there and I have had a few crosses myself, but has anyone ever put any effort into crossing a blue slate and a royal palm? If so, have you had better luck and patterns with a royal tom over a slate hen, or vis-versa?

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Quote:You cannot get a blue palm by crossing a slate and a royal palm. Does not mater if the Tom is a Royal Palm or a Blue Slate. It does not work that way. Your slate will always be domintate because it is black based (B)and not blackwing bronze (b1) based from both parents as you need to get a palm.

This is the genetics of a blue palm.

Genotype for Slate Blue Palm: b1b1cgcgDdngng (toms) or ng-(hens) Genotype for Self Blue (Lavender) Palm: b1b1cgcgDDngng (toms) or ng- (hens)

Black winged bronze based with gray (aka palm),slate and narragansett genes.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    fair enough, then maybe i had barred slates.

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I really wish I understood genetics like Kevin Porter does, he is really good isn't he? I'd like to find somewhere to learn it all, starting very basic... but then have no idea of what I would do with it all! [​IMG]

5. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    help people like us that dont understand it lol

6. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Kevin gives the formula to most popular birds. Go through his list and write them all down. He also has a Yahoo genetics board. If you go to the guide section it gives the basics turkey genetics 101.

Its pretty easy once you know what each gene does. There is not that many genes. You have 3 base colors, and your dilute genes.

I can teach it but in my own simple terms that might not be a clear as Kevin does it. I like how Kevin words things. It is easier for me to just repeat things in his words then the way I understand it.

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I also love how wonderfully patient he is when you ask him questions... My heritage turkeys came from him and I am getting together a wish list for next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by