Royal palm, do I have a pair?

Fuzzybird

Songster
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Wittmann ,AZ
I thought I had a female and a male but now the one I thought was female shows a lot of bright red and the snorkle, if that is the right name, grows long at times. The bird does not flare the tail fully but looks like it trying to. How can I tell for sure I have a female. The other one is a male for sure! Although gentle to me is a very bossy guy! Lol

Yes
Picture please
If the snood goes past the bill and has the back of the neck bare, it's probably a jake. The dominant one keeps the other subordinate... for now.
Yes, I have seen the shops go past the bill when it was acting more aggressive. The head turned very red. Does a hen have a brush on the chest?

Yes

Yes, I have seen the shops go past the bill when it was acting more aggressive. The head turned very red. Does a hen have a brush on the chest?
Hens can have beards also. Describing it as a young adult does not tell us how old it is.

Mature Royal Palm toms will have black lower edges on their breast feathers. Adult Royal Palm hens will not have any black on their breast feathers.

Seriously, if you want people to make an educated guess, post photos. For sexual identification of mature turkeys, it is best to post a full front view, a full side view and a shot from above and behind that includes the top of the head and back of the neck. The photos need to be in focus.

Last edited:
Hens can have beards also. Describing it as a young adult does not tell us how old it is.

Mature Royal Palm toms will have black lower edges on their breast feathers. Adult Royal Palm hens will not have any black on their breast feathers.

Seriously, if you want people to make an educated guess, post photos. For sexual identification of mature turkeys, it is best to post a full front view, a full side view and a post from above and behind that includes the top of the head and back of the neck. The photos need to be in focus.
X2

Back
Top Bottom