Royal palm- Sweetgrass genetics-please help

1Chick Magnet

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
New Hampshire
I am new to turkeys. I have only had them for 4 weeks. I have royal 2 palm toms. I bought 3 royal palm hens. I also picked up a bronze hen that is half sweetgrass and half black Spanish. Does anyone know what I will get if I breed the bronze sweetgrass mix to a royal palm? I can go buy a bronze tom-half sweetgrass and half black Spanish. Would any of the poults look like sweetgrass?
I have a burbon poult too. What would she produce if bred to a royal or to the sweetgrass mix?
I am trying to decide who to keep -who to sell-who to buy.

he.gif

I wish I knew more about genetics. I have been to porters web page and love some of the versions of palms I see there. Wondering if I have the possibility to produce any of those pretty colors.

Any advice would be appreciated.

From my recent research with my own birds, I think you might get more bronze and some Narragansett. I don't know about the other crosses...

ETA: I really don't know what I'm talking about--just have been playing with the turkey calculator a lot lately.

Last edited:
From my recent research with my own birds, I think you might get more bronze and some Narragansett. I don't know about the other crosses...

ETA: I really don't know what I'm talking about--just have been playing with the turkey calculator a lot lately.
where is the turkey calculator?

Royal palms are black-wing bronze based with double recessive gray and Narragansett genes, or b1b1cgcgngng, where b1 is the black wing gene, cg is gray, and ng is Narri.

A sweetgrass b1b1cgcgNgNg x black BBCCNgNg. (Black based with not white genes and not Narragansett genes) would have a genetic makeup of Bb1CcgNgng, and should look like a black bird. If it looks like a bronze, I would question it's parentage.

If you cross these, you can get several combinations.

Toms

Bb1CcgNgng. Will look black.
Bb1cgcgNgng. Will look black-based gray
b1b1CcgNgng. Will look black-winged bronze
b1b1cgcgNgng. Will look sweetgrass

Hens

Hens only have one gene at the Narragansett site. They get this gene from the Tom, so hens will have the same base genes and gray genes as the toms, but will all look like the Narragansett versions, so the first one will look like a black-based Narragansett. The second one is essentially a black based royal palm, but I don't know exactly what that looks like. The third combo will look like a black winged Narragansett, and the final hen will be royal palm.

Back
Top Bottom