Royal palm turkeys acting off strange poop?

Yup. Neither did I. I just assume if the other turkeys act this way in the next week, it is the same. There’s nothing to fix it other than surgery, I guess? Sigh. Cross my fingers the other three “healthy” but less interested in their feed turkeys didn’t eat the coins.

UPDATE PLEASE HELP
The sick female hen, Eunice, is still alive! I can’t believe it. It’s been 8 days since the Tom passed. I’m beginning to think she might have a milder case or a different issue entirely. She couldn’t stand two days ago, but was able to stand and walk a little yesterday. I have been force feeding her electrolytes, probiotics, and liquid from soaked chick feed slowly on my left/her right of her throat past her trachea. I also wormed her with Corid yesterday (wormed with valbazen 8 days ago). She poops a little here and there mostly in the morning hours, and it’s like water with some urates and green gelatinous weirdness that looks reminiscent of normal turkey poop.

Here’s where I need help: 1) I’ll upload a pic of the poop (one of the “healthy” hens has poop much like this too).

2) I noticed her mouth is ropey thick spit which was not there yesterday. I pressed on her crop accidentally after feeding her electrolyte water this morning, and she spit of some vomit smelling medium brown fluid. Before feeding her, her crop was small (size of a golf ball?) with some liquidy feel to it. I can no longer feel the acorn I felt a few days ago that had been there for many days. This sounds like sour crop to me? Maybe from the acorn that was there so long or from her body digesting slower. What can I do other than massages to help her with this? I’m worried about trying to make her vomit.

3) I have tetroxy HCA 280 powder that I can use as an antibiotic and am wondering if this would benefit her? She weighs 5.2 lbs/2.36 kg. If she needs 25 mg/lb that means she needs 130 mg, correct? Would this medicine help with sour crop or possible GI issues?

I’m sorry this is so long, I’ve been trying to help her when I realized she wasn’t just giving up and dying. I’ve done so much research my head is spinning, and I don’t know what to do! Vet said her fecal is clean, but I’m doubting they looked for bacteria. I don’t know just how much more help they can be since they have very limited knowledge of turkeys.

7C89B9FB-8AA9-4F9F-930A-96A86245D562.jpeg

While at the vet, ask them to do a gram stain of her crop contents and her poop to check for bacteria and yeast. If they find an excess of gram negative bactera, try to nicely "demand" that they start her on injectable enrofloxacin (Baytril).

Im not sure the vet will do subq on a turkey, but I can ask. A drop of this gross brownish liquid that smells like vomit comes out of her beak like every few minutes. I wonder if the sweetness of the electrolyte mixture combined with her body processing food slower than when she was healthy has lead to sour crop. She’s also holding her neck in an “s” shape like she’s trying to keep the bad liquid down. I’d give up treating her, but her poop this morning looked so promising. Plus, last night she stumbled after one of our dogs and tried to peck her, just like the old days. She likes to fight other animals on our property then get scared and run away.

Back
Top Bottom