Royal Palm Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bayvistafarm, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bayvistafarm

bayvistafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wondering if anyone can help me here. I answered an ad on Kijiji for a trio of palms. A tom and 2 hens. 5 months old. Free ranged (I assume that means not in a 'cage', but in a pen). He wants $100 for them all. He also has 3 Narragansett turkeys too. 2 toms and one hen. He wants $105 for that trio. Is this too expensive for turkeys? I am just interested in the palms right now. I can only house the 3 with my layers (same barn, but sectioned separate), and I think 3 toms together would be not a good idea. I have raised broad breasted turkeys, and just love the sociable hens. I am thinking that these palms would make good pets, and hopefully I can incubate some eggs at some point (if they don't). Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    That seems pretty typical for what people ask for heritage turkeys. It seems expensive, but they would get that much or more if they sold them for meat.

3. bayvistafarm

Thank you! I thought it wasn't too bad.. seeing as how hatching eggs of that breed are an arm and a leg.. with no guarantees, and day olds are almost $10 each from some hatcheries, and they seem so fragile to me.

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    no that's a good price, I've been seeing them at $50 each. I'm picking up some RP myself.

5. bayvistafarm

Here they are... just got them today.. AND I believe there are 2 toms in this bunch.. NOT two hens and a tom like he said. Oh well, I will have one for sale, if he doens't get along with everyone else, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lisa62479

lisa62479 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    i looks to me like 1 male and 2 hens...u will make your money back i on season if u sell the babies...i also have 4 royal palm turkeys and mine are laying for the season :)...i sell them on craigslist for 10.00 each every year...good luck with yours very nice palms u have

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I agree with lisa, looks like you have 2 hens and a tom. I just picked up my RPs this weekend.

8. bayvistafarm

I hope they are two hens and a tom. He told me they were.. and then when I went to pick them up, he changed his mind. 2 of them look similar, with the snood thingy perked up, and the chin thing happening. I can for sure tell at least one hen. I sure hope you guys are right, and hes wrong!!!!!!!! I am so hoping to hatch some in the incubator (when I ever get one), and maybe the 'hens' will hatch some?

9. bayvistafarm

How old are your poults when you sell them for that?? Curious.

10. lisa62479

lisa62479 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    day old chicks everyone loves royal palm around here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by