RP takeover

Quote:

I don't go to the "Home Page" very often (my browser is set to go directly to the Forum index), but when I do go to the Home Page, I always wonder what the "Most Active Threads" box says to those net surfing looking for chicken info and finding BYC for the first time.

As the Home Page is for promoting the Backyard Chickens website and membership, I think all the Social Forums should be omitted from the "Most Active Threads" count. While I understand the community aspect of the Social forums, it doesn't necessarily mean we have to promote and encourage them upfront as part of BYC.

IMHO

Last edited:
I don't mind RP's at, all and although I don't play them I'm sure they are very fun. however, they are begining to takeover the GJF section, it is getting hard to find the threads that you want to look at because they are burried under a bunch of roleplay games :/  I know that this is out of your control, but would it be possible to limit the number of RP's?

I kinda have to agree. I have nothing against RPing at all, I used to be one of the RP crew in fact, but that was back when there were only four or five main ones. Now things just get confusing. 0-0 I did enjoy some of the games in GJF, but many of those now seem to have been "hijacked".

That sucks because if you don't look at "new posts" in general you could be missing something important to you or missing the opportunity to help someone with a problem.

I agree with the OP the role play threads seem to be quite numerous and I thought this was a chicken forum.......

Maybe the mods should take some time and see how much time they have to put into moderating the roleplay threads and see if it is something they wish to continue.
We do moderate all the forums, when content is reported and is found to be against the rules.
From my own observations backstage, there is less rule breaking in the GJF forum than some of the "chicken" forums.

I don't go to the "Home Page" very often (my browser is set to go directly to the Forum index), but when I do go to the Home Page, I always wonder what the "Most Active Threads" box says to those net surfing looking for chicken info and finding BYC for the first time.

As the Home Page is for promoting the Backyard Chickens website and membership, I think all the Social Forums should be omitted from the "Most Active Threads" count. While I understand the community aspect of the Social forums, it doesn't necessarily mean we have to promote and encourage them upfront as part of BYC.

IMHO
Great points and I tend to agree.

Last edited:

IMHO

Another forum I'm on did this and omitted 'social' from post count also- so only comments in the 'normal' forum counted for post count.

We appreciate the feedback and the ideas and suggestions. Finding a perfect balance for all members all the time is tricky because of the diversity of needs from a very diverse group of members. With that said, we have always worked very hard to setup the forum sections, tools, navigation, etc. in a way to help peeps see stuff they want while avoiding the stuff they don't.

Regarding the homepage / activity feed: I don't think there is a way to remove social topics from the activity feed on the homepage, but that is one area where we'd like to make a change.

Back
Top Bottom