Rubber Egg / Chickens Laying less - Help!

My girls are 4 1/2 months old. I got 2 real nice eggs 2 days ago then yesterday I got a rubber egg the size of the yolk and today I got a full size rubber egg with a broken shell !! I am new to raising chickens can someone please help me?? I read the one persons ran out of water which us not the case for me!!
What breed(s) of chickens do you have? I must say that at 4.5 months old that is very young to begin laying, but it does happen sometimes. As your girls are new layers you can expect some weird eggs; i.e., soft-shell eggs (rubber eggs), eggs with no shell at all, teeny tiny eggs, etc. It's just their reproductive systems getting into gear...this is all new to them and it takes awhile for their little systems to figure it all out.

I wouldn't be worried at this point, just watch them closely. Now that they are beginning to lay what type of feed are you giving them? And do you offer oyster shell on the side next to their feed for them? Oyster shell aids in the production of nice hard shells.

I give my 4 girls 2 hard-boiled eggs, shell and all, finely crushed once or twice a week...but stand back, 'cause they go CRAZY for them!!
gig.gif
This is great for added protein also.

I have 8 RIR. I hadn't even switched them to laying food yet . I was going by the ages on the bags!! As soon as I got my first egg I ran to tractor supply and bought the layer food. I will get the oyster shell aide today!! Thank you so much. They are great girls and I thought I was doing something wrong!!

I have 8 RIR. I hadn't even switched them to laying food yet . I was going by the ages on the bags!! As soon as I got my first egg I ran to tractor supply and bought the layer food. I will get the oyster shell aide today!! Thank you so much. They are great girls and I thought I was doing something wrong!!
Oh heck no! You weren't doing anything wrong at all!
gig.gif

I feed my girls Purina Layena crumbles. I don't buy the "pellets" .. they don't like them at all! I use PVC feeder tubes with a shorter one that has their Purina Oyster Shell in it. You don't want to "mix" their feed and the oyster shell...keep it on the side. Surprisingly chickens will eat the oyster shell as they feel the need...chickens...go figure! Here's my setup:

Two tubes with their feed and the shorter one on the right is their oyster shell. Much less feed loss for sure.

Wishing you all the very best!!
frow.gif

My husband and I recently bought a home that came with 7 chickens - they are about 6 months old now. 6/7 Chickens are laying and we are averaging about 4-6eggs per day. Then yesterday happened. The weather turned yesterday to much colder/wetter and we only got two eggs and one rubber egg in the corner under their roosting spot - which led me to believe that maybe Fluffy (the 7th chicken who hasn't started laying yet) is starting to lay!! I then checked their water and realized that it had gone dry from that morning. So, that led me to believe that perhaps they just didn't get enough water intake that day and therefore couldn't produce eggs - and I felt horrible that my girls went thirsty! I bought a bigger water dispenser so we now have two big water dispensers so that doesn't happen again. Anyways, today we again only got two eggs! No rubber eggs yet. What do you think? Any advise would be so helpful!
We all welcome you. This has been the most inspired group I've known to help with chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom