Rubber Egg / Chickens Laying less - Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leddy, Sep 18, 2014.

1. leddy

leddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    NW Oregon
    My Coop
    My husband and I recently bought a home that came with 7 chickens - they are about 6 months old now. 6/7 Chickens are laying and we are averaging about 4-6eggs per day. Then yesterday happened. The weather turned yesterday to much colder/wetter and we only got two eggs and one rubber egg in the corner under their roosting spot - which led me to believe that maybe Fluffy (the 7th chicken who hasn't started laying yet) is starting to lay!! I then checked their water and realized that it had gone dry from that morning. So, that led me to believe that perhaps they just didn't get enough water intake that day and therefore couldn't produce eggs - and I felt horrible that my girls went thirsty! I bought a bigger water dispenser so we now have two big water dispensers so that doesn't happen again. Anyways, today we again only got two eggs! No rubber eggs yet. What do you think? Any advise would be so helpful!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, letting the chickens dehydrate can stop the egg laying for a week or more! An egg consists of a lot of water and if the chickens run out of water, it will dehydrate the yolks along with their bodies. So expect some down time on the laying for a while. This can also send them into a molt as well. So hang in there and hopefully the eggs start being laid again soon!

Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    With 7 ladies they will go through up to 2 gallons per day! Have you thought of making a 5-gallon bucket waterer with the horizontal water nipple system? It has literally saved my back, not to mention not having to clean up yucky waterers every single day. Here's a few pics of my setup, let me know if you're interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are super easy to make, too.

1 person likes this.
  4. leddy

leddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    NW Oregon
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for your reply! I still feel terrible for allowing my girls to go thirsty for afternoon, but I'm happy to know it's not a bigger issue. So excited to be a part of the flock! :)

5. leddy

leddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    NW Oregon
    My Coop
    That is PERFECT! So much better than the set we inherited. I am definitely up for making one of those. Our girls would go nuts over this!

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Are you referring to the post I made to the thread???? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Iwiw has given you good advice.

1 person likes this.
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice above.

Good luck with your flock!

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

TwoCrows and Iwiw gave you good advice. Running out of water may certainly have been the cause of your chickens not laying. I hope they start laying well for you again soon! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by