Rubber mat coop flooring?

A sharp utility knife will cut them. My coop is on an old broken/ cracked concrete floor, and the mats make shoveling out the bedding much easier. They also help keep the coop dryer. Mary

I put Horse stall mats down over dirt floor, love them, very easy to clean up and cushions birds when they jump off roost.

Yep I've used rubber mats in my coop and it is a snap to clean up! Been going strong for six years now!
I use rubber matts. I love them because I just hose them off every day so my coop stays clean (clean as a chicken coop could be)

I work in a conveyor belt factory and my coop floors are pieces of conveyor belt. It's easy to keep clean and I use a plastic scoop shovel when it's time to clean the floor.

I use mats in my coop area and a tarp under roosts. Light and easy clean, I scoop the poop and if needed take them out and hose it down. I use to have straw over dirt floor but rats/mice, mites etc like to hide in that stuff so I just use straw in nest boxes.
See pic, Cookie is standing on 1 mat (I have 5 in my coop area, called BBQ mat I got from Bunnings 1200 x 820mm. I also use some mats outside of coop to cover mud. They have an outside run area that's not muddy so the mats just help as a bridge.
IMG20200915131328.jpg

Both chickens and structural wood need to be kept dry. I would be concerned about moisture collecting under the rubber and causing problems that you wouldn't know about until your floor structure was beyond repair.

Since I keep my coop absolutely dry I've never had any difficulty with the wooden floor (I can't at the moment recall if it's plywood or chipboard), when I clean. I just fork out the used bedding.

If I cared about removing every last particle of debris I could use a broom on it or a shop vac, but the 99% I get out with the fork is sufficient. :)

Both chickens and structural wood need to be kept dry. I would be concerned about moisture collecting under the rubber and causing problems that you wouldn't know about until your floor structure was beyond repair.

Since I keep my coop absolutely dry I've never had any difficulty with the wooden floor (I can't at the moment recall if it's plywood or chipboard), when I clean. I just fork out the used bedding.

If I cared about removing every last particle of debris I could use a broom on it or a shop vac, but the 99% I get out with the fork is sufficient. :)

Back
Top Bottom