Rubber mat with holes under the roosting area -- is it too cold in win

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hoover67, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I was thinking of putting a rubber mat with holes in it (saw it at Sam's club) under the roosting area in the coop. The rest of the coop would be wooden floor. I was thinking that the droppings would fall to the ground. The coop is elevated 2 feet. I thought it may be able to keep it cleaner in there. Would it be too cold during the winter? I live in North Alabama, heat zone 7a. I originally thought I would put wire under the roost but understand that it is not good for the bird's feet.

Michele

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My silly birds sleep outside unless it gets into the low 20's or teens... and some STILL insist on sleeping outside. If you can put the mat in, think the droppings can fall though, and it can be pred proof, then go for it. Wire under the roost for a droppings pit isn't that bad since they don't really stand under roosts often.

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Not a bad idea if it works for you .

My coop has a wood floor and I put pine shavings thru out the whole coop and shavings as well in nesting boxes .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by