Ruby - possible unwell. Again.

Modesto Milling. They were on a mix of 50 layer/50 grower, but eventually dropped the lsyer, since few were laying during molt. We recently did King (?) all flock pellets, and they did fine on it, but then I realized it was not organic and the first ingredient was soy, so I went back to Modesto Milling. I might have to forego organic. The fat is going to kill them before the pesticides do.

I'm not convinced it's the feed.
I'm wondering if the heavy treats from before did the damage (fat) and if it's just stuck around.
Could be. I threw many pounds of forage seed last year. Plus, like you mentioned before, I was quick to give eggs. Did not realize how fatty they were. Here’s the current feed:
DE5849E5-C710-425F-9FAA-6D6F0D5071C7.jpeg

It’s for growing birds, amd they’re not supposed to be growing, sooo.
How does it compare to flock raiser/all flock on your chart?

Whew, I feel like 22% protein is a lot. Is there a reason you aren’t feeding layer feed still (16% protein)?
The all flock feed has much less calcium than layer.
I would be very careful rationing feed. I’ve had several people tell me you create a competition problem with that and the lower ranked hens lose out.
ETA: I can see now in post #32 you mentioned you don’t have them on layer since it’s winter.

Last edited:
Whew, I feel like 22% protein is a lot. Is there a reason you aren’t feeding layer feed still (16% protein)?
The all flock feed has much less calcium than layer.
I would be very careful rationing feed. I’ve had several people tell me you create a competition problem with that and the lower ranked hens lose out.
ETA: I can see now in post #32 you mentioned you don’t have them on layer since it’s winter.
Also, Bridge doesn’t lay anymore and now Ruby is on hormones. I would like to stick with an all flock if I can find one I like.

I will try rationing feed for a bit and see how it goes. I put several feeders around the run. Also, with days getting longer, they’ll get more free range time!

@casportpony I saw Ruby do two of these poops tonight after work. I don’t think she was pooping like that before today. She’s on the same “antibiotic that shall not be named” as last year. Can it cause these poops? I’ve seen a few of these around lately, but thought it was Millie and saw normal looking poop come out of Ruby until today.
3DAA240F-0F1C-4F85-B61C-B9C7A5B75991.jpeg

BTW, @Kiki, Ruby has never been one for treats, except kale, which she used to love. Lately, however, I notice her eating a LOT. I always felt good that she was eating heartily, since she’s prone to health problems, but now... not so much. She’s a very active, curious girl snd I wonder if she eats out of boredom. I’ve been doing a lot to enhance the run, but nobody is using all the new perches, etc.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just wanted to offer some support. I am rooting for your beautiful girl. Both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you both the very best
That’s so sweet; thank you! Ruby was active tonight after work. Huge and a bit slow, but active and seemed happy.

Back
Top Bottom