Ruckus in the Dark!!

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm back at the house after being gone much of the day and I'm feeding the cats and dog inside, puttering around, ignoring the dirty laundry, etc. I already went out and gathered the eggs, and it's dark outside by now so I know the girls (chickens) are probably inside the hen house getting ready for bed. It's been so wet here lately and I just planted rye grass seed, so they haven't been out of the run to range in the backyard for almost a week.

I've had a bit of a raccoon problem here in downtown T-Town, and I've "relocated" (isn't that a nice euphemism?) five of those buggers, but the past week or so the trap has gone unsprung, so maybe I got them all (for now).

Okay, so...I'm piddling around here on BYC and I hear the chickens start clucking and fussing like mad! Titus the Terrier of Power perks up and looks at me as if to say "Something's up!" and I run out of my office into the kitchen, where I try to remember what gun is in which drawer, grab my big cop Maglight and the .22 long-barrel pistol and Titus and I are out the door to the hen house!

The chickens are still raising a ruckus in the dark, and through the hen house window I can see my two white EEs on the lower roost - they aren't flapping around or acting like something's after them, but I'm not taking any chances! I slip the latch and am in the hen house - flashlight blazing and gun ready...

...where I see a couple of hens arguing about who is in who's spot on the nighttime roost. They are jockeying for premium position on the upper roost and generally causing much unrest, eliciting loud calls of "well eexcuuuse me!" and "hey there, Heavy Half - watch who you're bumping into!"

"Please, ladies, let's not push and shove - let's be civil and just try to get along!" Aye-yi-yi - chicken drama!

Inner turmoil, eh
lol.png

LOL!! oh my gosh! sounds like my gang at nite- i actually go in and tuck them in - making sure they are all on 'their' respective spots....sheesh! glad no body was hurt!

That is too funny. I can just see you out there with your pistol and light. Maybe we should call you Calamity Jane or somthing with a cowgirl twist.
gig.gif

Just kidding. Mine do that too only its not usually after dark. Apropriate pecking order on the roost please.
lau.gif

And finally glad there was no critter out there.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom