1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rudy (avatar) killed in middle of the day!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wisher1000, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My sweet little roo, Rudy was killed today. [​IMG] My DH said Rudy (BBR OEGB) was happily pecking and scratching in that area when he left today around 1:15pm and I went out to secure the coop at 4:45! He didn't come in to roost so I went looking for him. His body was found in front of the dogs pen about 15 feet toward the house in an area about 25 yards from the garage/house. His head was gone to the crop and a small bit was eaten from his back. Otherwise, he was intact. The other birds (BSL hens and guineas) seemed undisturbed. [​IMG] The dogs were still locked in the pen (banished there during the day for killing guineas.) I work nights and was sleeping but you would think I would have heard the dogs and guineas if there was and attack going on! I have to guess it was a raccoon but can't believe I didn't hear a commotion. My lab is a raccoon killing fool and can bring down full grown male coons with no major problems. He hates them and would surely kick up enough fuss that a coon wouldn't just sit there and eat my bird in front of him!?! [​IMG] I thought it might be a stray dog because the birds would be less afraid of a dog and my dogs tend to play with strange dogs more than run them off, but wouldn't a dog tear him up more and spread feathers everywhere?! Any thoughts on what happened to my beautiful little guy? I miss him, he was such a charmer... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It was a darn coon.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Are you fairly certain it was a coon? We do have those around here... (slowly turning from sad to angry)

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I am almost posotive it was a coon or a weasle. They usually only take the head because the brain has the most nutrients. I don't think a dog would have bit the head off and left it.

6. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Quote:agreed! And I'm so sorry for your loss, he's a good lookin' roo

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yes I bet he was.

8. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:You can say that again. I hate coons so much [​IMG] [​IMG] They show no mercy, so they get NO MERCY!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    sorry for your loss:(

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by