Ruen duck eggs past 28 day incubation

DaffyDuck

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
We are attempting to hatch rouen duck eggs for the first time and they are now at 30 days. We learned our thermometer was off and they have been in 98-100 degrees for 25 days. We increased the temp to 102 for the last five days and saw one egg move 2 days ago but nothing since then. Two eggs are starting to look transparent. I've candled them a couple of times this week and did not see any movement. Can anyone offer any advice?

Hmm. Sometimes when the temp has been low the eggs will hatch late. Does it stink in your incubator? What has your humidity been at? What kind of bator have you been using, still or forced air?

We are using a picture window Hova-Bator Incubator model 1582. As far as humidity goes, the farmer who gave us the eggs told us to fill the bottom tray (channels) with water and spritz them 1X/day. No odor so far. Can candling them too much have done harm?

If I were in your situation I'll tell you what I would do but alot of people would disagree. I would open the bator( I know big NO NO) and candle the eggs and check for movement.

You also mentioned something about candleing alot. I am a serial candler and have had great hatch rates, for me it doesn't appear to be a prob;em. Let me know what you find.

Just candled them and saw what appeared to be the yolk(?) and veins. I couln't see any movement. There is a dark spot on the air sac of one egg but most of them are just starting to look "marbled" on the outside of the egg. Would you tap a hole in the end of one or just let them incubate longer? If so, how many days? Someone advised me to float them in water and if they moved they were still viable. What do you think?

Hmm, honestly it doesn't sound good. I have never heard the water idea, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Or just leave them for 2 more days and then crack one open and see.

Good luck, but I must say it doesn't sound good.

Thank you so much for all of your help. We will give it two more days and hope for the best then. I really appreciate all of your advice.

Back
Top Bottom