Ruffled peababy

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Well I went to check on my 6 babies today and brought them all out in the sun. I have one that looks really ruffly so am going to keep her in with Annie, the other smallest girl. Looks like 3 girls, 2 boys and one I am not sure of. They must be getting picked on, the head crest is gone!:rolleyes:
I dosed her with oregano oil mix and will keep her warm overnight in the house.

Last edited:
Once they've been in where its warm, do they have problems if put back out in the cold?

They might normally, but the highs are calling for 50 today with sun so hoping it will be ok. Annie always looks cold tho so I worry about her. She is still the tiniest thing, growing like a weed though. I think they were picked on quite s bit and perhaps away from the food. They look they have gained two pounds since being in overnight!

I do too but I did have the babies separated in a small pen with only one big bowl. I have let them out now so hopefully they will do ok in avoiding the big peas and such now they somewhat accustomed to the coop. The guineas are the worst i think but with everyone able to be out now easier to avoid. Funny when I pen everyone up, hardly anyone fights, they they get out and go nuts. Weird birds!

I guess when they are shut up they know they have to get along. Even the roosters get along for the most part. They come outside and they scrap something fierce!
I do have a lot of thing in the coop for picked on ones to get away.

Last edited:
I have only recently noticed that the peachicks, around seven months, have started to push their dominance on each other. Not pecking a lot so far but it is obvious that some of them know their place and keep out of the way.

I have also noticed, like you have, that a lot of crest feathers are missing and there is a lot of new growth coming in. I haven't caught any of them picking crest feathers, but I do have about three young ones that never seem to have any. SweePea, being as submissive as she is, is one missing most of hers right now. So I don't really know if it is feather picking or if it is just the time of year for crest feathers to molt and grow a new. One theory I have is feather picking could be a sign of too low of protein in their diet.

Our dang guineas are really going wild the last few days chasing and fighting amongst themselves and the tom is chasing the peas off the pen roof which is good when I am trying to call them in. The peahens do not put up with the guinea antics, but the peacocks have a hard time standing up for themselves with their tails getting longer now.

These are my late hatch 3 to 3 1/2 month olds! I wouldn't have thought they would have crest pecked yet but since I haven't been able to observe like I normally do, it's really a wonder I didn't lose any. I did lose my blind silkie hen and one nn too that just never dealt well with the cold. I brought him in 4 times last year and twice this year but he succumbed when we had that night of -20 windchills. He had a mite problem this fall and I had to Sevin him every 10 days 3 times. I guess with the cold and blood and feather loss he couldn't stay warm enough. It's funny, my nn girls don't mind the cold at all. :(. I am not complaining, sis did a wonderful job caring for me and my birdies. Setting the babies up in the coop with heat lamps And heated water all by herself, she did a wonderful job. It's just no one knows your birdies like you do when you have someone else caring for them.

These are my late hatch 3 to 3 1/2 month olds! I wouldn't have thought they would have crest pecked yet but since I haven't been able to observe like I normally do, it's really a wonder I didn't lose any. I did lose my blind silkie hen and one nn too that just never dealt well with the cold. I brought him in 4 times last year and twice this year but he succumbed when we had that night of -20 windchills. He had a mite problem this fall and I had to Sevin him every 10 days 3 times. I guess with the cold and blood and feather loss he couldn't stay warm enough. It's funny, my nn girls don't mind the cold at all.
sad.png
. I am not complaining, sis did a wonderful job caring for me and my birdies. Setting the babies up in the coop with heat lamps And heated water all by herself, she did a wonderful job. It's just no one knows your birdies like you do when you have someone else caring for them.
You are lucky to have a sister like this, i have to leave my dogs in charge when i leave here but they do a wonderful job, I just can't figure out how to teach them to change the water in the brooder
lau.gif

Last edited:
Well I went to check on my 6 babies today and brought them all out in the sun. I have one that looks really ruffly so am going to keep her in with Annie, the other smallest girl. Looks like 3 girls, 2 boys and one I am not sure of. They must be getting picked on, the head crest is gone!
roll.png

I dosed her with oregano oil mix and will keep her warm overnight in the house.

When was the last time you wormed this wee pea?

Back
Top Bottom