Ruffly hen

Oh, and what are your thoughts on bringing the hen into the house in the middle of this egg avalanche?

This poop looks more like a bacterial infection than blackhead, but giving the metronidazole sure won't hurt. Baytril, metronidazole and Safeguard *can* be given together. Do you have Corid?

-Kathy

Oh, and what are your thoughts on bringing the hen into the house in the middle of this egg avalanche?
That's what I would do... You can easily check her for an egg just by putting on a glove, some KY and gently inserting your finger. If she has an egg there in her uterus and it will be either hard with a shell , which means that she will lay it in the next 24 hours, or sometimes a softy is there, that will get laid in 24-72 hours, usually. I can detect eggs in less than 1" in mine, usually just 1/2". These pictures are some of my favorites... They're for chickens, but can be applied to peafowl.

-Kathy

Yes, they have been on both Corid and Safeguard for three days already, and today is the fourth...

I am certain there are more eggs in there, just from her posture... But I guess I am asking, do you think the stress from coming into the house might cause her to choke up? And create a problem for her?

How calm is she?

-Kathy

She's pretty calm in the pen, but she hasn't been handled or inside a people house since she was a baby, now she is almost three. She definitely does not want to be picked up, ever, and she is more cautious than the males. She takes her time deciding whether to accept treats, and she inspects them before she gobbles them down. She doesn't come try to get them from my hand like the opal SP male does. I'm afraid bringing her in the house will really stress her big time.

She is also not going to like getting caught... it would probably have to be after dark.

Hey, good news, when I went out to do a late poo patrol, the hen came running, feathers all slicked down, looking like a vigorous young thing, no ruffles at all.

Of course it turns out that after three days of getting bread in the afternoon, they now associate me coming outside in the afternoon with bread treats
gig.gif

But she's looking pretty healthy, and it looks like poops are returning to normal out there. Will keep watching, and I'm still going to do the sulfa in the water.

The hen is definitely looking more comfortable, and I haven't seen any runny poo today. So I hope she is on the mend.

I want to show my container for mixing bird meds into water, because this works well for me:

I measured water into the container to make the marks on the back end (shows 1 - 5 gallons), because it changes shape a bit with the different amounts of water. I wrote the amounts to use on the front, because I always lose them. I like that it is easy to handle and I can shake it for mixing the meds.

I have a bunch of plastic waterers, some always seem to leak, and some leak intermittently, and all of them are a nuisance. This way I can fill them all from the one container, and if one of them leaks down during the day, or the birds tip it over, I still have some.

When I'm done with it, it squishes back down into the box and goes back into the garage so it's not in the way.

Back
Top Bottom