Rules for selling processed chickens and ducks...?

So I talked to the guy from the Department of Agriculture and he said that if someone is selling processed poultry that the birds have to be processed at a provincially recognized 'butcher'... so I guess that means no... but what about selling them as pet food like someone mentioned? or what else could be done to get around it without the person looking to buy doing it himself or me doing it at their house?

If someone goes about to do something technically against the law by playing word games they could most certainly be chalenged by the authorities on that and would need to substantiate their activities as they would be in the grey area of the law. Pretty much what has already been posted here in public record would undermine any future defence that the pet food sales were ledgit.

Though many don't agree with the laws they are what they are, either the choice is made to follow them or risk the consiquences.

Don't think for a second authorities don't read blogs, forums and watch a little YouTube, what a great source for tips.

Is selling or giving away a couple chickens worth the potential hastles and expences? Honest officer, the guy must have, ummm.. uhhhh broken in and stole the chicken I was fixen to eat myself right out of my freezer...
wink.png

Quote:
It isn't just the selling part in Canada that is the problem. You cannot Give him UNINSPECTED meat that you have processed yourself, either. You can only give or sell Live birds or animals. It doesn't matter what someone tells you over the phone. Not even Revenue Canada has to stand behind what they tell someone on the phone; its what is on paper that counts. If you screw up your taxes based on advice they gave you over the phone on their very own tax help-line, they will still prosecute.

Google the Federal government meat regulations act.

It isn't just the selling part in Canada that is the problem. You cannot Give him UNINSPECTED meat that you have processed yourself, either.

Funny there is an exception.

My read on the rules... A bunch of guys can go out to the local swamp in the fall, shoot a bunch of geese, a deer, moose or even old dump bear, quarter it up with a chainsaw, haul it out on 4 wheelers. Then take it to buddies garage and cut it up, smoke it, cure it and make it into sausage then as long as it is not sold it can be transported to others as long as the name and licence number of the person who shot/sealed the animal is availible with the meat. All in the name of hunting.

Now won't surprise me if the powers-to-be some how put the screws to this one day soon, they have been puting up hoops to jump through up for an outdoors club I belong to which holds wild game aka "UNINSPETED meat" dinners.

Inconsistancies in the application of law like this do make me question if the laws are really envisioned to protect Joe public or large scale agribussiness?​

Quote:
Funny there is an exception.

My read on the rules... A bunch of guys can go out to the local swamp in the fall, shoot a bunch of geese, a deer, moose or even old dump bear, quarter it up with a chainsaw, haul it out on 4 wheelers. Then take it to buddies garage and cut it up, smoke it, cure it and make it into sausage then as long as it is not sold it can be transported to others as long as the name and licence number of the person who shot/sealed the animal is availible with the meat. All in the name of hunting.

Now won't surprise me if the powers-to-be some how put the screws to this one day soon, they have been puting up hoops to jump through up for an outdoors club I belong to which holds wild game aka "UNINSPETED meat" dinners.

Inconsistancies in the application of law like this do make me question if the laws are really envisioned to protect Joe public or large scale agribussiness?

The reasons are complicated, but you're right--as near as I can discern, it has almost NOTHING to do with protecting the public (what would they be protect FROM, exactly?), and a fair bit to do with crushing homegrown competition to said agribusiness... It's unfortunate, because everybody (public and the little-guy farmers) loses except maybe the Big Boys with the money to write the rules... It's also ironic, considering that the real dangers to public health actually come from the Big Producers, not the little guys...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom